sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: South Pacific with wonderful harp #106763
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The weather here has been awful but I’m still hoping to get to see this in Newark, NJ. Doesn’t anyone know who the harpist is? Or are they just not tellin’?

    in reply to: pet peeve? #106945
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    THANK YOU! And also, a Beethoven Symphony isn’t a really great SONG!

    Rogers and Hammerstein (I forget which one was the lyricist) put it so well

    “A song’s not a song ’till you sing it”…….

    Music intended to be without words is a piece, selection, composition, tune, work, etc. My third graders got that when I was teaching general music, so the concept is not at all exclusive.

    in reply to: Eddie Druzinsky passed away #147536
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Incredible biography.

    in reply to: South Pacific with wonderful harp #106761
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The Lincoln Center production (same production, different site) was absolutely breathtaking.

    The only problem was that the orchestra disappeared under the stage so I couldn’t watch everyone. The harp was situated in the same location in that production.

    I didn’t know before I saw the Lincoln Center pro. that Rogers and Hammerstein wrote the show with the intention that the harp be the central accompanist and not a piano (or GF a synthesizer). The Broadway harpist was Grace Paradise. She was, of course, magnificent, and what a rush it would be to hear Emily Mitchell do it as well!

    They are to be performing in Newark within the next two or three weeks.

    Does anyone happen to know who the harpist will be there?

    in reply to: For all those who keep asking, “Am I too old?” #83493
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I loved this Barbara- thanks so much for printing it.

    If I hear someone ask if they’re too old, I generally think the answer is “yes”.

    If you have to ask, you’re already in a negative mind set that would be too much of a burden to doing what you’d really like to do.

    in reply to: Dry Splitting Cracking: Take 2 #157996
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    They have a nice website where you can order. Try googling O’Keefe’s Working Hands.
    If you can’t fine it that way I’ll be glad to print the ingredients here. THe first ingredient is Glycerin, but there are some others by chemical names that I don’t recognize.
    Try the google though, there are lots and lots of testimonials. I’m surprised there are none there from musicians.

    in reply to: Blevins harps #72687
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Here’s a vote for the Avee 36. They sound very nice and are not too hard to move with a shoulder strap.

    My teacher, a pedal harpist, also likes the sound, and of course when she plays it it sounds much better than when I do.

    I also like the leg set up for convenience.

    By looks, I love the Aspen and the Louvre also, but the Avee is the one I play.

    Good luck!

    in reply to: Shipping a Harp #72754
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I had a harp shipped from Chicago to NJ last spring, and it was packed in the foam stuff that dries into a firm packing material. It arrived in perfect shape, and I’d recommend the process.

    You might try FedEx or UPS to see where you can get the harp packed with it.

    in reply to: Smart Harp Musicmakers #158022
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    It’s a lap harp, but I used it for a few months for finger position and getting used to the strings. I then bought a Serenade (Thormahlen).

    in reply to: Smart Harp Musicmakers #158019
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I just looked, and they appear to have a small sound clip on the webskte.

    in reply to: Smart Harp Musicmakers #158018
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Did you check “Backyard Harps”? THey’er smaller, but they have a lovely sweet tone, and hold pitch. I bought mine as my first harp, and I’ve never regretted it.

    in reply to: Strange Conducting Stories #148532
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I can’t imagine how I missed this- I thought I had watched every Frasier twice.
    Who’s the harpist?

    in reply to: Wurlitzer #677 Arrives in Tucson #107157
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    May your #677 bring as much joy to you as it’s little sibling #696 brings to me!

    in reply to: Disrespectful Audiences #106979
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I was inducted into an honor society the other night. Most of the inductees were much younger than I but a few were older.

    As we were lined up to process into the auditorium there were several people stationed along the line admonishing us that the sound would carry into the auditorium if anyone spoke as we were processing.

    The murmur-hiss of whispering ebbed and flowed to a fortissimo as we reached the door.

    Apparently there were several inductees who thought that although we shouldn’t be talking before entering, it was A-OK to chat while we were waiting to be honored! Discussion continued over the invited speakers.

    I used to blame this solely on TV, since there’s no need to be silent while the TV is on, but now I blame it on the proliferation of noise in our society, coupled with the sense that each of us is much more important than anyone else and thereby entitled to pipe up at any time a thought occurs.

    When I was teaching general music, I gave a lesson once in a while on the place of SILENCE in performance. Some of the kids weren’t aware that there was such a thing. What a novel concept- no noise at all!

    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    We have nothing but raves for the Ford Flex. They are a little more expensive than the Edge but very easy to load and off load. Gas mileage averages about 20-21.
    The Flex is lower than the Edge. Very secure ride. I hope you never have another match up of deer vs. car, but if it were to happen, the Flex would win.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 747 total)