South Pacific with wonderful harp

Posted In: Coffee Break

• Participant
    kathy-chanik on #106757

Marty and I went to a beautiful production of South Pacific at the Kennedy Center here in DC this weekend, but the best part was there was a 26-piece orchestra with it, including harp. And the harpist was…wait for it…Emily Mitchell, one of the best harpists in the world!! We could hear every note she played because of the excellent sound system. At halftime I took a look in the pit, and she was there talking to some people-she was playing a L&H 85. And the harp was right in front of the conductor, practically up his nose. It was so GREAT!

The Washington Post made a big point in their review of saying how much the big orchestra added to the production (especially the sound of the harp) so maybe there is hope for the Broadway musicians after all.

I have to say I had a good laugh when they did the big number “There is Nothin Like a Dame”-the only place you can sing something like that these days is in a Broadway musical from the 40’s.

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #106758

Kathy,

It’s wonderful that you were able to see this production, and that the harp was easily heard!

Participant
    kathy-chanik on #106759

Hey, Jerusha. All is well-new Thor Swan coming next week, koa with inlay. Harp heaven!! How is your Swan developing?

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #106760

Wonderful news!

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #106761

The Lincoln Center production (same production, different site) was absolutely breathtaking.

The only problem was that the orchestra disappeared under the stage so I couldn’t watch everyone. The harp was situated in the same location in that production.

I didn’t know before I saw the Lincoln Center pro. that Rogers and Hammerstein wrote the show with the intention that the harp be the central accompanist and not a piano (or GF a synthesizer). The Broadway harpist was Grace Paradise. She was, of course, magnificent, and what a rush it would be to hear Emily Mitchell do it as well!

They are to be performing in Newark within the next two or three weeks.

Does anyone happen to know who the harpist will be there?

Participant
    emily-mitchell on #106762

Hi Kathy:

Thanks for your kind words.

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #106763

The weather here has been awful but I’m still hoping to get to see this in Newark, NJ. Doesn’t anyone know who the harpist is? Or are they just not tellin’?

Participant
    deb-l on #106764

I think it was Emily Mitchel, who just responded graciously in the last post.

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #106765

Sorry, i must need to be more precise. Is Emily Mitchell playing the run that will begin on January 25 in Newark NJ?

Participant
    sidney-butler on #106766

This is a little bit off topic, but I’m going to be playing the South Pacific harp part in April with our local orchestra.

Participant
    catherine-rogers on #106767

It’s a long and busy part but pretty straight-forward. It will take a while to mark if you get a virgin part. It’s a beautiful show to play–enjoy!

Participant
    Ida Slapta on #106768

The part is GREAT!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.