sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp/Instrument Purchase Scholarships? #105394
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    When an age peer attempts to harass you with a display of consummate ignorance, the best approach is to take such a display for what it’s worth-NOTHING.

    in reply to: opposite direction of pedal action from pitch change #83149
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m an aged beginner and I do it sometimes, but not because I associate the physical motion with the sound, and I truly don’t think that’s why anyone does this.

    To me it’s just the need to familiarize the action of the pedal with the symbol in the music. I’ve been working on the Bochsa etudes in the second book of the 50 easy etudes, and there’s one pedal change in #47 that I typically play as a sharp instead of a flat, but I’m playing the others in the piece correctly.

    Overall, that particular etude is a real bear, and I think if I were confusing the pitch with the mechanical action I’d be making more mistakes than I am.

    That particular volume of Bochsa is really good for a slow, moderately painful introduction to pedal work, so if your students can tolerate it, it might be worth a try.

    in reply to: hello Mr. Sara – you ok? #147295
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Sending positive thoughts and hopes for the best outcome possible……

    in reply to: Carbon Harp Demo – blog and pictures #70040
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Very interesting, Jennifer!

    It was very difficult to get near the Heartland exhibit at Somerset because there were always so many people around it, but the Legend appeared smaller than both the Delight and the infinity. How did the sizes compare up close?

    Even more important, was the tone of the Legend comparable to the tone of the Delight?

    Looking forward to more posts from others who attended the meeting in Texas.

    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    If the one I saw at Somerset was the Legend, it looked as though the size was between the Delight and the Infinity. I wish I could find the original mention of it online but no such luck.

    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Jennifer, I haven’t been able to find out anything about The Legend, which I believe is to be the 3rd harp in the series. There was one at Somerset but the display was always so crowded it was impossible to get near it.

    Would you please post your thoughts if you get to see it. Thank you!

    in reply to: memorization #147560
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    “Practiceopedia” is listed on Amazon for $248, so I’m hoping that maybe someone knows where I can find another more reasonably priced edition?

    The reviews really look very positive!

    in reply to: If . . . #105543
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Both the Regency and the Limerick by Musicmakers sounded great at Somerset. I’ve already been thinking about one of them.

    in reply to: Heat index is . . . #105551
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m going to put the AC on but I’ll probably be sticking to the harp before I finish my Larivier. BUT IT STILL prefer this to snow!!!!!!

    in reply to: Grossi #147700
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m a little miffed that it’s recommended by Ms. Sylvia for pedals only. I did all of the Grossi on my Thormahlen Serenade, and almost all of the Pozzoli also.

    By the way, were the Pozzoli etudes originally for harp or piano?

    in reply to: Do you remember . . .? #105762
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    In first first grade I wrote, choreographed, directed, designed costumes, and starred in a musical comedy/drama entitled “The Little Lost Valentine” which sadly does not survive in manuscript, but according to Mrs. Baker

    was the smash hit of the Hanover Avenue School theatrical season.

    Does that count?

    in reply to: Book recommendations please – harps #146710
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Carl Swanson’s book about taking care of pedal harps is excellent and IMO a must have for novice pedal harpists

    There are also some excellent books for preparing orchestral harps including one by Beatrice Schroeder Rose. Very interesting anecdotes in this one about the way great composers mistakenly citrate unplayable harp parts. There are also several other great books about composition for orchestral harp players.

    Great reading about a great topic!

    in reply to: Night Breeze or Brise Nocturne #83225
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Very respectfully I am wondering why between you and your teacher you don’t figure out how it should sound for you!

    I follow that you are concerned about passing your Gr 6 exam, but if you are too close to someone else’s interpretation, you might be criticized for that.

    A friend of mine had to play an exam on piano. The students were all working on the same very difficult and technical piece. I forget what particular piece, but I think perhaps one of the Beethoven sonatas.

    After everyone played they were interviewed regarding the decisions they had made concerning their interpretations, phrasing and tempos. When the grades were distributed, my friend was the only grade of A given. He was told that his interpretation was both unique and valid and that the others had all been derivative and predictable.

    Just a thought.

    in reply to: fashion question for female lever harpists #147711
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    When I was singing, I always wore Sunday best, and that was a collection of conservative jacket dresses, hose, and dignified pumps.

    When I played my recent wedding, I wore a dressy black velvet pants suit. It was an awful day, snow and Ice predicted and bitter cold.

    I personally would never wear a gown unless it was at the express request of a bride. I would no doubt lose a foot n the folds and miss all my chromatids.

    in reply to: Talking to your harp #105815
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I have caught myself murmuring an apology when I hit one of the Wurlitzer’s gilded feet with my toe as I reach for the pedals.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 747 total)