fashion question for female lever harpists

• Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #147706

This question is directed at female professional lever harp players who play mid-sized lever harps.

jennifer-buehler on #147707

I tend to wear basic black but I tend not to be a very formal person.

kay-lister on #147708

Hi Jer,

I have played lever harp several times in a black velvet evening gown.

Participant
    kirsten-osborne on #147709

I am a pedal harpist and I play for a lot of weddings. I never wear a fancy evening gown unless I am playing a recital or an event where formal wear is requested. I think that whether it is pedal or lever harp, it is work. When I am at a wedding I want to look professional but never over the top. I tend to wear all black or black and white so that I don’t clash with the bride’s wedding colors. :-)

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #147710

Hi Kirsten,

I understand what you’re saying.

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #147711

When I was singing, I always wore Sunday best, and that was a collection of conservative jacket dresses, hose, and dignified pumps.

When I played my recent wedding, I wore a dressy black velvet pants suit. It was an awful day, snow and Ice predicted and bitter cold.

I personally would never wear a gown unless it was at the express request of a bride. I would no doubt lose a foot n the folds and miss all my chromatids.

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #147712

Hi Sherry!

I worry about stepping on the hem of my long skirts when I get up from the harp for a break or to leave the venue.

Participant
    shelby-m on #147713

Believe it or not, I have found some pretty great mid-calf skirts at Wal-Mart.

Spectator
    diane-michaels on #147714

Last night I played a gig in a venue that was not pedal harp accessible, but I was expected to be in black formalwear regardless of harp. The joy of playing my Swan on that gig was wearing my highest heeled, pointiest toed open back shoes!

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #147715

Hi Shelby,

It’s great that you can sew!

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #147716

Hi Diane,

One thing that I’d like your opinion on is the width of a skirt/gown.

kay-lister on #147717

Hi Jer,

If I can chime in here.

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #147718

Thanks, Kay!

Spectator
    diane-michaels on #147719

My ball gowns are taffeta, which I don’t really want to wear in warmer weather (they tend to be noisy, too, so I don’t wear them a lot). I can’t imagine that it would be too much fabric – if you’re trying to smarten up the look, you can’t go wrong with a beautiful skirt drape.

My long dresses and skirts are usually A line or in that awful, yet so useful stretch poly. Though that section of my wardrobe happens to be based on straight lines, there is still a bit of extra fabric to do the trick. I went with a long A line dress and beaded jacket last night.

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #147720

Diane,

Thank you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.