harpcolumn

Harp/Instrument Purchase Scholarships?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Harp/Instrument Purchase Scholarships?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    shelby-m
    Participant

Halfway through my summer music camp a few weeks ago, our parents were allowed to come and visit us and I had my mom bring my harp (a Ravenna 34) with her.

andy-b
    Participant

Hi, Shelby:
    I wouldn’t be concerned with what this girl said. Little harps are NOT lame! I currently have a concert grand and a 36-string lever harp. Both have their good and bad points. While I love the voice and projection of my concert grand, I hate taking it anywhere! My lever harp is wonderfully portable, and has a sound I’m more than happy with. I play it at least as much as my bigger harp. Plus, with their different voices and often lighter touch, smaller harps are much better for Celtic or folk music than a concert grand. The important thing is that YOU like your harp!

Cheers,
    Andy

sherry-lenox
    Participant

When an age peer attempts to harass you with a display of consummate ignorance, the best approach is to take such a display for what it’s worth-NOTHING.

shelby-m
    Participant

Thank you for your kind comments!

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I don’t know about scholarships but there is a lot of info out there on used harps. I’d bet you can find a decent, used semi-grand (maybe even a concert grand) for less than $15K. I have known of some that did sell for less than that, and they were decent instruments. As long as you have it checked out by a harpist or harp technician you trust, make an offer and see what happens.

Check the classifieds here on Harp Column, the websites for Virginia Harp Center and Atlanta Harp Center, even Budget Harp Rentals. (He sometimes rents-to-own.) It may be old but doesn’t have to be in pristine cosmetic condition as long as it won’t need any major repairs in the immediate future. If you have a teacher, ask him or her to help you search. You never know until you try.

laura-palmieri
    Participant

Hi Shelby,

I hear about instrumentalists in college getting instruments borrowed from the college itself. The college buy them and owns them and they have to give it back to them after they graduate. But for harpists I’ve never heard about it. I would think its a little more difficult but you can try talking to someone in the music department about it. At whichever music school you go to, you should be able to have a concert grand to work with. My school didn’t have one at first so they had to buy one for the harp department. They should also give you a key to the harp room so you can practice on it whenever you want to.

shelby-m
    Participant

I hear about a lot of harpists using college-owned harps.

J P
    Participant

I’m confused slightly. Are you planning on majoring in harp or are you majoring in something else and playing harp on the side in addition to your studies? I gather from your posts that it’s the latter.

If you’re not majoring in harp and the school you’re going to does not have a harp department they should not be expected to purchase a pedal harp for you to use- it’s expensive for them too. Even harp majors go through their program without actually owning an instrument until the very end. You do have options however until you own.

Renting: Any harp retailer most likely rents harps at an affordable price. My personal favorite that I used until I purchased my harps however was Carl Swanson. He has fantastic harps at great prices, give him a call before schools resume in fall, he gets booked solid by then. Another option would be to contact elderly harpists in the area that may own a harp but don’t play on it regularly and offer to rent it from them. Or better yet if they’re trying to sell a harp offer to rent it from them until they find a buyer.

Every pedal harpist that does not live off of a silver spoon faces the situation of how to fund the purchase of their first pedal harp, so you’re not alone I assure you.

My advice, find a rental and start saving now. By the time you’re done with your degree you should have enough money in the bank to even purchase an 85GP which you can then trade in 5 years time with their bounty program towards something larger.

JP

shelby-m
    Participant

Yes, your assumptions are correct: I’m going to be a Liberal Arts major, with a focus in music performance and minoring in business or writing.

Amber M
    Participant

Are you talking about their Clios?

shelby-m
    Participant

Yes, the Clios sound like a great harp for someone like me (small of stature, moving it by myself, don’t live near regulators) and the people at VA Harp Center said they were great for college students.

Amber M
    Participant

Yep, they offer financing through Allegro Acceptance. Give VHC a call and talk to Amy. She’s great and can explain everything.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.