harpcolumn

Talking to your harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Talking to your harp

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    clh-h
    Participant

Am I the only one who does it? Like say goodbye to it when you leave, apologize to it when you accidentally knock it against something, tell it to shhh when you want it to stop reverberating. Or am I the only crazy one?

I talk to my harp to tell it what kind of tone I want. Establishing command is part of directing the wood’s response to your playing. Seriously. Studies have shown that wood fibers realign themselves differently according to whom is playing, so by talking to my harp, I think I establish clearer intention, and it focuses my intention. As a result, my harp has changed, and become a stunning instrument.

deb-l
    Participant

so my Korrigan will become a stunning instrument if I talk to it?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I have caught myself murmuring an apology when I hit one of the Wurlitzer’s gilded feet with my toe as I reach for the pedals.

deb-l
    Participant

I apologize if I knock a foot when I’m moving a harp around.

Cheshire Cat
    Participant

Me too- I say hi, bye- sorry i dont have time to play with you today, etc! I dont have children yet, so she’s like my baby!! Sad aren’t we! lol.

shelby-m
    Participant

Yeah, I apologize when I knock it against something.

Ann

I usually consider myself a logical, practical, thoroughly unsentimental sort, but I talk to my harp. Truth be told, I talk to many inanimate things … it’s the only way to keep them in line, and even then they don’t always behave.

I’m gentler with my harp than with other objects though. I’ve never sworn at it as I have at other instruments when I’m frustrated with a passage that just won’t come right. And although I haven’t formally named it, I confess that on occasion when I pass by it or get up from playing, I turn to it and say, “You’re Glorious!”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.