Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Debussy Harp Pieces #166164

    I find Salzedo’s transcriptions to generally make pieces more accessible. Clair de Lune, on the other hand, is an extremely hard piece to do well, in my experience. The great thing is that you have so much to look forward to, you can spend the rest of your life working on pieces by Debussy, which is wonderful. Do your fingertraining now, get them to work well, to be able to play different patterns.

    in reply to: Young composers writing for harp #148479

    Tell them to keep to basics, what they know, or will soon know, works. Four notes per hand maximum. Maximum interval between fingers, a fourth, sixth with thumb. No overlapping. Use scales, arpeggios, glissandi. Broken chord patterns: 1423, 1243, 4231, etc., but not 1324, preferably. Show them the range in which melody sounds well, the range for chords, and where they get muddy. Demonstrate harmonics and muffling. And avoid chromatic passages.

    If they see it in Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky, Debussy and whoever else you think is safe, then it is okay to do it. Do not use Strauss, Wagner, Ravel, Bartok as examples. (Ravel has some very tricky and awkward passages.) They can consult the Berlioz-Strauss Orchestration text, and Gardner Read, but be wary of others. Unless you know of one that is quite accurate. I don’t know all of them, but don’t know any offhand that are completely trustworthy.

    in reply to: Pedal Harp #157644

    Where are you located? The next step is to begin lessons.

    in reply to: Pedal Harp #157643

    Of course, you accept it! It’s a miracle.

    in reply to: Composition for harp (help needed) #83392

    Yes, I found I was misled by a shady character who used to lurk in these forums as to the harp status in Greece.

    in reply to: Debussy Harp Pieces #166159

    Reverie is a piece that is rhythmically tricky, but otherwise quite straightforward, and very pleasurable. It is also very good for technical development. I think there are several available transcriptions.

    in reply to: Substituting glisses for arpeggios in Trio Sonata? #148442

    Very interesting.

    in reply to: Britten’s The Burning Fiery Furnace #148471

    Ask Lynne Aspnes, she has done a lot of Britten. His parts tend to be very challenging.

    in reply to: Mozart Recordings with Reinecke Cadenza? #148502

    I think Rampal and Laskine used the Reinecke. It was probably an Erato recording, which I got from Musical Heritage Society. But, I

    in reply to: chicago lyon healy harps #157721

    I prefer the Chicago models to the 85 series. The 85s have always had a heavy quality to me that I don’t like as well.

    in reply to: Scales & Arpeggio practice sheet – can email it out #106651

    You have piqued my curiousity. Click on my name to lead to my email.

    in reply to: Digital voice recorder #72426

    A cassette recorder with a decent microphone would work just fine and would be the simplest to use, by far.

    in reply to: Substituting glisses for arpeggios in Trio Sonata? #148440

    It was my impression that Salzedo came up with the substitution of aeolian fluxes for the fingered pattern, not to make it easier, per se, but to modernize it, in a sense. Stokowski liked to do this in many orchestral works, turning arpeggios into glissandos, considering that a preferable effect. While the glissandi may seen easier, if you try to replicate the phrasing of the fingered pattern, they are not so easy. If Renie played with glissandi, I am curious when she did that, perhaps Salzedo got the idea from her or the other way around.
    The Boston Symphony Chamber Players recording, with Ann Hobson Pilot playing, she uses the glissandi. Salzedo has other edits that are very helpful in making the harp part speak clearly.

    in reply to: Ravel Piano Concerto in G major – cadenza #145433

    Missing or misplaced clefs are among the most common errors, and certain publishers have certain errors more frequently than others. There are many clef problems in Ravel’s parts, as I recall.

    in reply to: The Russian Method / School #83019

    I understand you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 2,806 total)