Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,156 through 1,170 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Brahms Requiem #148212

    Not me, I would break them briskly.

    in reply to: Who was the harpist in Ricky Ricardo’s orchestra? #104765

    Sam, I don’t know if you can provide more information. Can you? I remember thinking there were two harpists, that there was a slight change in appearance between seasons, so perhaps there was one harpist for the first year or two and then another, both brunettes.

    in reply to: Hindemith Sonata #146382

    Were these errors corrected at some point?

    It is such a great piece, I can’t think of a single note that sounds wrong.

    in reply to: Chicago Lyric Opera Auditions #148149

    Lots of foreign harpists, not immigrants, have taken orchestral jobs here, but we do not have equal access to auditions in other countries, or so it used to be, so it is a valid point of view.

    in reply to: Hindemith Sonata #146380

    There is a review in the New York Times of a performance of the Hindemith Sonata by Heidi Lehwalder, which you should be able to find in their archives. It was on a program she did with Paula Robison, flutist. Heidi used the Salzedo editing. I was there. It was an outstanding performance.
    One harpist said my performance of it on my master’s recital was the best she had heard, except for Kathleen Bride. It was a great compliment, but I naturally wanted her to say it was better, but she wouldn’t. I will finally perform it again this fall, and we will see how I do it now. I think I last performed it in 1988. It is one of my favorite pieces.

    in reply to: Hindemith Sonata #146379

    I have a translation. It goes something like this:
    Bequest
    by L. H. Christian Holty

    Friends, when I am dead,
    Hang up the little harp behind the altar
    Where the funeral wreaths
    Of many a dead maiden glimmer.
    The sexton will then kindly
    Show the little harp to visitors
    And rustle the red ribbon
    That is tied to the harp and
    Twined among its golden strings.
    “Oft,” he’ll say wonderingly,
    “in the sunset the strings sound softly by themselves,
    like the hum of bees.
    The children, drawn here from the churchyard,
    Have heard it and seen
    How the wreaths quivered.”

    Translation copyright 2011, Saul Davis, all rights reserved

    The poem reflects a practice in olden times of hanging wreaths. There is a breeze at sunset that would cause the strings to sound, like an aeolian harp.

    The harmonics are written where they are played. If you are inclined, you should get Salzedo’s markings from someone, as they are an excellent guide to interpreting this piece. Some chords are not broken, but most are, as they need to be on the harp, so that the listener can clearly distinguish the interior notes. It is also more rhythmic and flowing. Chords are not broken on the harp for romantic reasons, but acoustic. The practice of breaking chords goes back to the baroque period, predates the romantic era, and there is no reason to think flat chords are more modern. Salzedo himself, the quintessential modernist, said that all chords on the harp should be broken unless marked otherwise.
    Tempos, as well as dynamics, are relative. To Hindemith, 60 was an ideal Sehr Langsam, so the movement is not moribund, but flows as if sung. In fact, the text of the poem can be perfectly underlaid the music so that it could be sung. When played at a funereal tempo, the notes don’t sustain long enough to keep the momentum going. It is not a molto adagio, I don’t think. I’ve heard it that way and don’t like it. Also, you have to watch the subdivisions and meter changes (hemiolas) very carefully. The beat remains the same throughout, so the subdivisions and triplets actually accelerate. The program that Hindemith wrote to accompany the piece is very pictorial, and for me, ruins it. To me, it is a depiction of what he was experiencing in 1939, a terrible time.

    in reply to: Chicago Lyric Opera Auditions #148140

    I hope an American gets it.

    in reply to: Harpist at Royal Wedding #106432

    That’s not the royal harp that was made when Catrin Finch was the royal harpist. This one is strikingly elegant, and do you know that it is a Salvi?

    in reply to: Romantic period music #166100

    Saint-Saens Fantaisie (solo), Glinka Nocturne, and Variations. It depends what you want to show.

    in reply to: Improper behavior of other harpist #148278

    Jane Doe has retired from playing weddings, due to the backt-stabbing wounds she continually suffered, she tells me.

    Is some of this due to “mean girl” behavior?

    I think when someone is starting out, they really need guidance from others on how to do things the right way, and why, because they just don’t know better. I also think it would be wise to feed a little work to someone who is hungry in such a way as to keep them off your back, too.

    in reply to: Harp Strings vs Guitar Strings #71531

    yes.

    in reply to: Tuning etiquette #106425

    Well, I’m not shy about asking the oboe if he wants my A, or asking if my A matches his/hers.

    in reply to: muscle memory vs mental memory #102467

    Does it help to play with music? Otherwise, perhaps acupuncture would lessen the reaction.

    in reply to: Stretched Tuning #106470

    I always start tuning on Fb or Bb, because if you start on Cb, you end up at Bb still needing to do Fb, and you have to go through that nasty tritone. I also find Fs harder to tune than any other note. It seems to be an acoustic property of a harp. The problem with going by ear, for me, is that what sounds right is off, a little or a lot, so the tuner is more reliable, unfortunately. And I will progressively increase the stretch until it is obviously overdone, then have to pull it back.

    in reply to: Improper behavior of other harpist #148265

    There is a Society of Wedding Planners. If it is a national organization, then I suggest harpists approach each chapter to discuss standardized rates and hiring practices.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,156 through 1,170 (of 2,806 total)