harpcolumn

Chicago Lyric Opera Auditions

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Chicago Lyric Opera Auditions

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

Sometimes the person who wins the audition already has another (good) orchestra job and goes to the audition with the idea that, if they win, they will use that win to try to get a pay raise out of the orchestra they are already with.

Lots of foreign harpists, not immigrants, have taken orchestral jobs here, but we do not have equal access to auditions in other countries, or so it used to be, so it is a valid point of view.

Harp One
    Participant

I was ONLY replying to your comment about Lyric Opera Audition.
    And here is some information for the audition.
    “All applicants must have valid eligibility
    to work in the United States. Lyric Opera will not apply for working permits
    for foreign musicians.

Equal Access…….

phyllis-adams
    Participant

Lots of “Monday Morning Quarterbacking” folks…. Most of us in Chicago are thrilled that she won and are eagerly looking forward to her arrival! We need a change of pace here – and I’m not refering to the Cubs who lose almost every game!

carl-swanson
    Participant

Did she accept the job?

alishia-joubert
    Participant

Phyllis, what do you mean by “change of pace”?

HBrock25
    Participant

Julie Smith turned down the job and Marguerite

tony-morosco
    Participant

She was principle harpist for the New World Symphony at one point if I remember correctly. And she lives in Chicago so no having to worry about moving. And Saul should be happy, she’s an American.

Well, I am happy for both of them. Julie Smith clearly likes where she is and what she is doing, and Marguerite Lynn Williams gets a great new opportunity. Sounds like both are doing well.

Congratulations to both of them for a job well done!

Katherine Denler
    Participant

It’s my understanding that Ms. Williams was also the sub for Sarah Bullen when she was on sabbatical a few years ago.

And I think it’s awesome! Everyone’s been saying it was a fair audition, and it’s great to see two harpists doing so well!

Congratulations to everyone who auditioned! The list was intense.

HBrock25
    Participant

There were over 150 harpists who applied for this position! There were six finalists-Lynn Williams, Maria Luisa Rayan, Andrea Mumm, Cheryl Losey, Ben Melsky, and Julie Smith.Julie was offered the position, Lynn Williams 1st Runner up (and has now been hired), and Cheryl Losey was 2nd Runner up. Congrats to all!

HBrock25
    Participant

Only 50 something harpists turned up for the audition. Lyric had three days of audition and only advanced 6 harpists from the first two days.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies