harpcolumn

Ideas for Harp Dissertation!?!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Ideas for Harp Dissertation!?!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi Everyone,

I have to write a dissertation as part of my final year college work and would like some help with topic suggestions. There are no guidelines, but as a harpist, I would like to research something interesting in the ‘harp world’. I will be spending a great deal of time and energy on this and I want to enjoy it! (as much as possible)

Any harp topic suggestions would be greatly appreciated, serious, weird and wonderful alike.

Thanking You,
    Maeve

tony-morosco
    Participant

Best to stick with a specific area that you are actually interested in. And familiar with.

What kind of

Maeve Cawley

Thanks Tony,

I know I need to refine my topic, I left it open because I’m an Irish harpist. Started on a lever harp and have moved to a pedal just a couple of years ago. So, to answer your question I play both, celtic on lever and classical on pedal. I think that’s why I’m having so much trouble deciding on a topic, I”m torn!!

paul-knoke
    Participant

OK, here’s something that I personally would very much like to see researched: “Traditional Celtic Music as Arranged and Published for the Single-Action Harp in the Late 18th and Early 19th Centuries”. There is a wealth of music and information out there waiting to be organized, yet it’s a specific enough topic not to bog you down with mountains of vaguely relevant resources.

Just my 2 cents!

Paul

sherry-lenox
    Participant

A technical analysis of O’Carolan’s music in relation to a selection of more commonly known Baroque composers?

You might write an interesting thesis on Sam Milligan’s design and introduction of the Troubador harp for Lyon & Healy, which set off many sparks in the harp world.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I think you mean Sam Pratt. I believe he was the one, as head of the harp division at Lyon & Healy(which was a much bigger general music company in those days) who designed both the style 30(Princess Louise) and the Troubadour harp. He then asked Sam Milligan to put together a book of music that could be played on the Troubadour harp, which resulted in Fun from the First.

thank you for correcting my poor memory.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.