Ideas for Harp Dissertation!?!

• Keymaster
    HBrock25 on #148013

Hi Everyone,

I have to write a dissertation as part of my final year college work and would like some help with topic suggestions. There are no guidelines, but as a harpist, I would like to research something interesting in the ‘harp world’. I will be spending a great deal of time and energy on this and I want to enjoy it! (as much as possible)

Any harp topic suggestions would be greatly appreciated, serious, weird and wonderful alike.

Thanking You,
    Maeve

tony-morosco on #148014

Best to stick with a specific area that you are actually interested in. And familiar with.

What kind of

Maeve Cawley on #148015

Thanks Tony,

I know I need to refine my topic, I left it open because I’m an Irish harpist. Started on a lever harp and have moved to a pedal just a couple of years ago. So, to answer your question I play both, celtic on lever and classical on pedal. I think that’s why I’m having so much trouble deciding on a topic, I”m torn!!

Participant
    paul-knoke on #148016

OK, here’s something that I personally would very much like to see researched: “Traditional Celtic Music as Arranged and Published for the Single-Action Harp in the Late 18th and Early 19th Centuries”. There is a wealth of music and information out there waiting to be organized, yet it’s a specific enough topic not to bog you down with mountains of vaguely relevant resources.

Just my 2 cents!

Paul

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #148017

A technical analysis of O’Carolan’s music in relation to a selection of more commonly known Baroque composers?

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #148018

You might write an interesting thesis on Sam Milligan’s design and introduction of the Troubador harp for Lyon & Healy, which set off many sparks in the harp world.

Participant
    carl-swanson on #148019

I think you mean Sam Pratt. I believe he was the one, as head of the harp division at Lyon & Healy(which was a much bigger general music company in those days) who designed both the style 30(Princess Louise) and the Troubadour harp. He then asked Sam Milligan to put together a book of music that could be played on the Troubadour harp, which resulted in Fun from the First.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #148020

thank you for correcting my poor memory.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.