harpcolumn

danse profane tempo?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists danse profane tempo?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ninana-b
    Participant

Hello dear harpists,
    can anyone share heir thoughts about a tempo of a danse profane from debussy?
    I am playing Renie version and I seem to be having difficulties getting into 152 per quarter note . is it just me, or is it usual?

Thanks

It is a challenge for everyone, I would say.

unknown-user
    Participant

I played this for the first time in the fall – it certainly wasn’t difficult at all to get it to 152, but it sounds like that was just me. I also think it is an appropriate tempo, but a little slower definitely wouldn’t be bad, especially if it makes it more solid for you.

~Sam

Misty Harrison
    Participant

try not closing as much. it’s called short articulation. still need to relax the fingers and close but just not as far in. you can play faster that way but check with your teacher to be sure you’re ready for it since it’s an advanced technique

ninana-b
    Participant

thank you all, your answers are really helpfull….

To build up speed, take a very small section of music and play it as fast as you can, hands separately, and stop. Gradually, you will train your fingers to move more quickly than they are used to. Once you have done this with only one hand at a time, you can put a bar together at this high speed. By building these little “bricks”, you can connect them and eventually get the whole phrase, then the whole piece, up to speed. Your muscles and tendons cannot be pushed past their current limitations, but you can expand these limitations with this method. It takes some time, though. If you try to rush this process too quickly, you can hurt yourself, so give yourself lots of time to learn the piece. The other impediment to speed is simply not knowing what comes next. Once a piece is memorized, it is much easier to play it faster.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Elizabeth- Interesting that you should mention this technique for practicing. I learned that very late, and I learned it from a little book that Jane Weidensaul wrote called Scientific Practice. It’s a great book.

In my student days I used to practice everything slowly, and then speed things up, one notch at a time on the metronome. But that didn’t work very well for me. The technique of practicing maybe only 2 or 3 beats at a time at full tempo or close to it works much better. I usually practice like this only with both hands together unless one hand has something that is really difficult.

unknown-user
    Participant

The technique works great to get something in your hands, but it’s terrible for memory. You have to work to make sure that you really know what your hands are doing.

~Sam

Yes, Sam, you’re right. For memory, you have to play slowly enough to really observe what is going on. Practising requires different strategies for different goals.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.