Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp Pedagogy #82781

    I think of Inglefield as a pupil of Pierre Jamet, but that doesn’t mean she didn’t also study with Grandjany as well.

    in reply to: Granjany / Renie Technique #82953

    When people say things like that, it could be anything or nothing, it is not coming from reality. More than likely, they are just repeating/parrotting something they have heard said, or an attitude.

    in reply to: Research Topic #146552

    What he did was combine different strands of music by Albinoni into a coherent whole in his style very effectively. That is interesting to know about the Grandjany, that it was recognized. I bet it is an organ piece, then. I know Zingel made that claim, but it is unusual for a Handel score to be in only one library/collection in all of Europe, seems to me. By the way, I’m not making any kind of criticism. If a person can compose an effective piece in the manner of another composer or period, that is a real accomplishment.

    in reply to: Harp Sound Projection #70439

    If the difference between the natural sound of the harp and the amplified sound doesn’t matter to you, then it doesn’t matter which way you do it.

    in reply to: Need input about audition materials #104548

    Also, Promenade by Damase and Pastorale by Grandjany.

    One etude is good if you do it well and at a good tempo, and musically. They may also want to hear you play a scale.

    I said it before, I’ll say it again:

    Hey, dude

    don’t post us spam

    take a good site

    and make it badder

    we don’t play guitar music too much

    so do the former much

    and not the latter.

    in reply to: Harp shoulder #104537

    Investigational ultrasound by a radiologist is the best way to diagnose it as it may be bursitis, tendonitis, tendinosis or something else altogether, and if you don’t know what the condition is, you don’t know how to treat it. This is the only way I know where they can literally see all the cells and identify what is happening.

    in reply to: Claude Bolling Suite #146583

    It may be playable, but the question is, is it harpistic? If it doesn’t sound natural to the harp, better to leave it alone. I suspect parts of it would work well and not others. Flothuis wrote a very nice piece, Sonata da Camera, for flute and harp that has jazzy harmonies. It is a good idea to commission a composer to write this sort of piece. Is Bolling still around? There is also one called Swing by Jacques Bondon, but I don’t remember if it is swing music or jazz or not.

    in reply to: Tension when I play… #165915

    Sliding up and down the strings is another excellent way to relax between notes, and it helps one be more supple.

    As for saying the Salzedo method is tense and unnatural, only in the hands of those who don’t understand it, perhaps. One can have bad experiences with any teacher. There is no regulation of how much knowledge one must have to claim to teach the method. Such a statement is really pointless to make.

    in reply to: copyright law changes possible #146610

    What effect do you think this will have? Are they saying works after 1923 we expected to become public domain will not do so in our lifetimes, or that works prior to that will return to copyright? On the one hand, it will save many music publishers, on the other hand, it could skin us independents. And yet, Canadian copyright remains far more liberal. What if we publish everything in Canada?

    in reply to: Is college a requirement? #165834

    One must aim as high as possible, not as low, to succeed in life.

    in reply to: Tension when I play… #165911

    Round your fingers, that may help.

    Tension is something young players fall into, I think, because they can feel it, and it creates a sense of security. It is not real security. One must develop clear distinction between tension and relaxation, and my guess is that the original poster has too extreme of an arm position. It should not be difficult to practice two hours or more. Raising the elbows too high will cause tension in the shoulders and neck. The method says something like parallel to the floor, but it is a generalization, not a specific unalterable position. The most important thing is freedom of movement.

    in reply to: Choosing the right pieces for college #146641

    You are already looking at graduate schools? It seems like last year you started at Peabody. You definitely want to audition with what you know best. Which schools are you considering?

    in reply to: Debussy 1st Arabesque Bars 33-35 #165896

    I do use it where placing would be buzzy, but I prefer placing, in general. I also using partial placing, where you would place the first two notes and as you play the first note, pivot and place the next two.

    in reply to: Paris Conservatory History #146646

    Noel Gallon’s Fantaisie is published as a Morceau imposee au Concours, but it doesn’t give the year. His Deux Etudes give the year 1961 (pub. by Philippo et Combre).

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 2,806 total)