harpcolumn

Research Topic

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Research Topic

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I would not like to do this one, but I would like to read it as an article or paper by someone else. It is or was a tradition in classical music, especially in the early 20th century, when composing a piece in the manner of a previous era, to present it as a transcription or discovery. I suspect that three pieces in our repertoire fall into that category. I have never found a source for Marcel Grandjany’s edition of the Handel Prelude and Toccata, leading me to wonder if it just might be a composition by Grandjany, likewise for the Salzedo edition of the Sarabande by Couperin, and the Zingel edition of the Handel Theme and Variations.

If someone were to explore this, I would suggest comparing motifs to other works by the composers, the use of ornaments, voicing, and any other musical aspects. We may never know the answer. It may also lie in places like the British museum, where the originals may be hidden. I think it would make these pieces all the more interesting if they were by the editors. Miss Lawrence suspected the Zingel Handel might be Zingel, something in it didn’t ring true to her. It is hard to pinpoint where in Handel’s career he might have written it. If in Germany, would there have been any harps or harpists around at that time, and if in London, does it resemble his writing at that time? It might be found in the Aylesford manuscript collection, but it is not in the published copy I purchased, though there is another Theme and Variations there.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

For the Zingel, I believe he claimed the original score was in the library at Leipzig, and was destroyed during the war.

I don’t think Mr. Grandjany invented the Prelude and Toccata. I don’t know the source, but certainly when someone played it at Eastman the keyboard folks recognized it but were very much amused by the realization.

alice-freeman
    Spectator

“Albinoni’s Adagio” in some sources is now attributed to the 20th-century musicologist and Albinoni biographer Remo Giazotto who claimed to have

What he did was combine different strands of music by Albinoni into a coherent whole in his style very effectively. That is interesting to know about the Grandjany, that it was recognized. I bet it is an organ piece, then. I know Zingel made that claim, but it is unusual for a Handel score to be in only one library/collection in all of Europe, seems to me. By the way, I’m not making any kind of criticism. If a person can compose an effective piece in the manner of another composer or period, that is a real accomplishment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics