harpcolumn

Harp shoulder

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Harp shoulder

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    poppy-rose
    Participant

I’ve seemed to have developed what I’m calling harp shoulder. I have recurring pain in my right shoulder, down into my elbow every time I play my harp. It use to start to hurt after about 40 min or so, now it acts up after about 5 minutes in. I’ve had massage treatment for it which solves it short term, but then it comes back. I’ve tried sitting differently, and changing the height of my bench, so the harp sits in my arms in a differently way, but the pain just won’t go away! Anyone else experience this? And if so, any tips?

unknown-user
    Participant

Are you holding the harp up with your shoulder or your knees? You haven’t specified what type of harp you use, but most types of harps (and this is more important the bigger the harp is) should be supported mostly by the knees. See if this helps.

~Sam

poppy-rose
    Participant

I’m playing a prelude,and I I’m using my knees to keep weight off my shoulder as the weight aggravates my shoulder. I think it’s the strain of the arm position, or the repetitive motion/position, which is why I was wondering if it’s a common injury among harpists. I’ve been playing for a little more than 3yrs, and this only flared up about 4 months ago. My massage therapist says she can feel the inflammation I the muscles/ligaments.

Do you have a teacher?

poppy-rose
    Participant

Yes, I have a great teacher who is always watching, and correctly my finger positions, and wrist movements ect. It must be just be over practicing or something. Maybe some time off would help to let it recover/heal, but its a circle.-you want to practice because you paid lesson money to learn, and it’s not cool to show up for lesson without practicing what you were told to do because then you’ve paid to just repeat the same thing!

Investigational ultrasound by a radiologist is the best way to diagnose it as it may be bursitis, tendonitis, tendinosis or something else altogether, and if you don’t know what the condition is, you don’t know how to treat it. This is the only way I know where they can literally see all the cells and identify what is happening.

poppy-rose
    Participant

Thanks Saul, I believe I will bite the bullet and go to the doctor. It seems like no one else has experienced this due to playing/practicing. It just takes so bloody long to have the tests done, and then get the results!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I had a similar shoulder

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

I developed bursitis in my right shoulder a couple of years ago. I’m quite petite, so I’m always reaching up with my arm for things (writing on classroom boards, for example). In addition to classroom teaching and harp playing, I also commercial fish (salmon) during the summers.

Physical therapy resolved the issue, with no adverse effects on my harp playing. It’s really worth getting it checked out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies