harpcolumn

Harp repertoire for conservatory auditions

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Harp repertoire for conservatory auditions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Abby Kent
    Participant

I am a junior in high school, and I am starting to look at the requirements for harp auditions at conservatories. Almost all the big ones ask for a Classical, Romantic, and 20th/21st century piece from the solo harp repertoire. Since the harp is a relatively new instrument, I can’t easily find a solo Classical or Romantic piece. I have learned Giovanni Pescetti’s Sonata in c minor (all 3 mvts.), transcribed by Salzedo, and I thought I might use this as my Classical piece. However, since Pescetti’s dates are on the borderline of Baroque and Classical (1704-1766), it is not clear that he is a bona fide Classical composer. Also, this piece is transcribed for harp by Salzedo, and I don’t think conservatories want transcriptions. In short, does anyone know of a good Classical audition piece that was written specifically for solo harp?

In addition, it has been difficult finding a Romantic piece, since most of the most famous solo repertoire for harp was written only within the last century or so. I have found a few pieces that also are very early Romantic composers, so it is not as easy as picking out a Chopin piece for piano. Does anyone know a great Romantic piece for an audition?

Also, any ideas about 20th/21st century compositions would be great. I have considered tackling the Hindemith sonata, but I haven’t decided yet.

The Pescetti is just fine for your classical selection. It should not matter that it’s a transcription. The borders between musical periods are artificial, and not that exact. It has

niina
    Participant

I am doing auditions this Sept, and am probably playing Naderman: Prelude and Sonatina no. 7, Glinka: Variations on a Theme of Mozart, with Nocturne (which I started practicing last month) and then something else which I haven’t decided on yet. Maybe Firedance if it’s allowed.
    Good luck with yours whatever you decide.

Niina

Abby Kent
    Participant

Thanks, Niina.

I was just curious; where are you auditioning? Most

Niina, to me that is not enough contrast. I would not add the Nocturne by Glinka to the Variations, especially if you are doing the version with a nocturne variation. Do you have something from a later period that you already know? How about the Debussy Arabesque, for example?

niina
    Participant

I’m going to audition with Trinity Laban with Gabriella Dall’Olio, the Royal College of Music and the Royal Academy of Music. But now I’ve been told that I have to do Nadermann Sonatine op 6 (first movement) (Leduc Edition) not his no.7, so I had better get practising. Plus there is a 45-minute musicianship test. The auditions are in October and December.

niina
    Participant

To be honest Saul, the pieces that I am supposed to be playing seem to change each week (not by my choice). So I’m not entirely clear what I’m playing, except for Nadermann Sonatine op 6 (first movement), that one is a requirement.

And I only have 6 months!! Bearing in mind I have only been playing for just over 3 years, it will be quite tough for me.

Niina

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Niina,

Are the absolute requirements for your auditions clear?

niina
    Participant

Thanks Georgina.
    You’re spot on with all your observations. I will ask my teacher to nail this down for me as soon as I get back to school. Sometimes I have so many pieces to play, I’m not clear what or when I’m playing.

Niina

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies