Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,326 through 2,340 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Proud Father #110203

    I know a fantastic singer who lives in Calgary, a mezzo-soprano named something like Jacqueline Fiedler. I would love to tour more, but travel is hard, and it is really hard to play on unfamiliar harps, or to find ones that are the way I like. It is quite frustrating it is not like it is for pianists with Steinway able to provide pianos where they perform.

    in reply to: Proud Father #110202

    I don’t know how likely that is to happen. I have tried to watch people and have it constantly pause, that is not how I’d want to be viewed. I can be seen live in Philadelphia and Minneapolis. It may be we’ll have some video streaming on the festival website, but my concerts were not filmed. Audio, yes.

    Thank you, Candace, we should meet up.

    I have tried to write for lever and find it difficult. I have a collection of folk songs, but it is big and therefore a lot of work to get ready for publication. I have also found etudes impossible to write as yet. I hope to find my way into them.

    in reply to: meeting the posters of this forum #110160

    Yes, he is assisting me with the festival. He is very busy with school.

    in reply to: Proud Father #110195

    OOps, make that 34- page, 17+ minutes, not 17 pages.

    in reply to: meeting the posters of this forum #110150

    I knoe John Doe, he is from Chicagoe, I think I knoe. I think he works for a harp company, or she. But he’d better watch out for Jane Doe, she is coming to get him! He owes lots of child support.

    I invite all of you to the Harp Music Festival of Philadelphia, naturally, so we can all meet. I would also love to host a gathering of only male harpists, so we can dish the real dirt. I am very flattered and hope I do get to meet all of you. I wish I could travel more. Maybe, just maybe, I’ll get to the West Coast for the Conference or the WHC. I thought they were synchronized, but aren’t I gather.

    in reply to: Lever Etudes #86009

    Well, they do sound interesting. There is so much more Italian harp music than we ever hear about here.

    in reply to: Spam Mail? #86211

    The ideas was that they are reading these forums to figure out how to scam us, so I wanted them to think they should mention bananas in their letters, which would be an obvious tip-off to us, but by explaining it, now they may know what I was up to.

    Even if you could cash a check they sent you, they want to gain your bank account and email for identity theft, and when the check was returned, they would have your account number. I don’t know how it all works, but I’ve heard that some irate people went to Nigeria to track the crooks down and were murdered. I don’t understand why it isn’t a major book or movie yet, this stuff.

    in reply to: Suzuki Method versus traditional teaching method #86115

    Wow, a nice juicy topic!

    I can say that Lucile Lawrence felt it would interfere with learning to read, which she constantly found to be a big problem with harp students, not having enough reading skill. She also felt that her approach in her ABC of Harp Playing was better, where you learn to read and play at the same time by saying the notes and pointing to them as you play them. I have not been that impressed with the selections in the Suzuki books to want to use them. I tend to think that a lot of it is based on marketing appeal, that it is attractive to parents. The involvement of the parents is something that is more natural to the Asian cultures, I suspect, than to Western.

    As for the results, it probably evens out after a certain number of years. It did used to strike me that Suzuki pupils seemed to be more confident and egocentrically secure, perhaps from receiving lots of support and little criticism, perhaps? But I have little direct experience, so I will be glad to hear from those who have had it.

    in reply to: meeting the posters of this forum #110133

    Jerusha Amado, if I can only name one.

    in reply to: Are Venus Harps as good as Lyon & Healy? #69287

    Yes, I pass through there also, but have only seen piano plyers.

    in reply to: Fnatasie SaintSaens op 124 Harp&Flute #147210

    And they were smaller overall.

    in reply to: Spam Mail? #86208

    One that does not mention bananas.

    in reply to: Failures in lessons #86047

    I suspect that it simply the purpose of at least one student to constantly baffle the teacher, regardless of all reason.

    in reply to: Spam Mail? #86206

    Anyone who emails you out of the blue “enquiring” about lessons with lots of vague details is spamming. Beyond that, these emails are phrased in similar ways. What is troubling is that they are improving their English and their writing format so that someday they will be able to fool many of us. So, it is better not to answer any email inquiries unless they are verifiable. Now that they have read that, they will start including some phony verification in their emails.

    Let’s just say, for

    in reply to: Failures in lessons #86045

    That may be the problem, then. While it is an old tradition, the way Hasselmans taught, I would not play along with the student except occasionally. They could become dependent on you and unable to do it on their own. Besides, they need to hear themselves clearly. I think it is a great thing to do sometimes, and I wish I had more instruments to do so. I think I would have been intimidated if my teachers had always played my repertoire.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,326 through 2,340 (of 2,806 total)