Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,101 through 2,115 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp for Music Thanatology #75652

    In the back of my mind, this thread has been reminding me of the movie and novel, “The Loved One”, about the funeral industry, in which the woman running a funeral parlor is named Miss Thanatogenous.

    in reply to: Harp for Music Thanatology #75651

    I do remember seeing a Harp Therapy program that was set up in Montana that seemed to be perhaps cogent and useful.

    I am willing to teach healing and harp to someone interested, but I don’t have the energy to market a “certificate” program, but I can have one hand-calligraphed to show completion of the program.

    in reply to: Harp for Music Thanatology #75650

    Tony, I so agree. I have been trying to be polite and not rant on this topic, but I want

    in reply to: can I still put new strings after a regulation? #75891

    There should be no big change in the regulation if you switch to nylon strings, which I prefer. Any regulation needs minor adjustments as the strings stretch and the felts pack down, so learning to make those yourself will take care of things. When felts are changed, the regulation usually needs to be redone after a month or so of use. It depends which nylon you have though, if you have Pirastro, there will be little difference, but a bit more if you have other nylon strings. I only use Pirastro.

    in reply to: Which Pedal Harp to buy!? #71735

    Plastics are lighter than wood.

    in reply to: 0F #75909

    Sam, I’m pretty sure there is something wrong in how you are installing your new strings. You are making the wrong kind of knot, or making the string much too tight so it pops as it goes into pitch. Or, your discs are moving way too far into the string. Have your teacher look at it. I suggest you take it to your next lesson.

    in reply to: Joined HighSchool Orchestra need advice. #166557

    Get used to it. Playing anywhere involves a certain amount of hassle. Get good at moving the harp and it becomes less of a chore.

    in reply to: French Harp Repertoire #151763

    Thank you all! I assume Copac is a kind of universal library catalog? There’s a lot there.

    in reply to: Harp for Music Thanatology #75642

    My point was that you don’t have to only use a harp, a guitar can do nicely, too, and I do not hold with the idea of

    in reply to: Rinaldo #109141

    Does it go like this:

    da da

    in reply to: Scoring a harp song! #151767

    I look forward to seeing it, Pat!

    in reply to: Harp for Music Thanatology #75635

    No reason in the world you could not do it with a guitar.

    in reply to: Piano and Harp duo #147247

    The Berezowsky Concerto is also an effective duet, and the Turina Theme and Variations is not difficult and very nice.

    in reply to: Piano and Harp duo #147246

    Lyra carries the Salzedo Sonata. It is very challenging, but a masterpiece. The bias against harp and piano is unfounded, I have realized. If the pianist accompanies sensitively, they are beautiful together, but if they are too loud, it does not work. It’s just more noticable than with other instruments. Lyra has other harp and piano works in their catalog. The Introduction and Allegro of Ravel is very beautiful as a duet.

    in reply to: What Is SOP re Tipping Harp Teacher? #84433

    If you are taking lessons through a school where you pay the school and they pay the teacher, tipping is a great idea, because as a rule, the teacher is getting less than half of what you are paying for lessons, and what you are paying is most likely already less than they would get for private lessons. It should be done discreetly. It is not common though, maybe in other societies, and some teachers might be offended. An annual gift might be a more suitable approach, at the end of the year like a bonus. The other thing to be conscious of is breaks for holidays and vacations where the teacher will not get paid, and you should definitely consider paying the amount they would otherwise be earning, so holidays are not gloomy. When I’ve worked for caterers who negotiated a low fee, then gave me a generous tip, like the waiters, I was offended by that, rather than being paid my proper fee.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,101 through 2,115 (of 2,806 total)