Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,116 through 2,130 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What Is SOP re Tipping Harp Teacher? #85656

    If you are taking lessons through a school where you pay the school and they pay the teacher, tipping is a great idea, because as a rule, the teacher is getting less than half of what you are paying for lessons, and what you are paying is most likely already less than they would get for private lessons. It should be done discreetly. It is not common though, maybe in other societies, and some teachers might be offended. An annual gift might be a more suitable approach, at the end of the year like a bonus. The other thing to be conscious of is breaks for holidays and vacations where the teacher will not get paid, and you should definitely consider paying the amount they would otherwise be earning, so holidays are not gloomy. When I’ve worked for caterers who negotiated a low fee, then gave me a generous tip, like the waiters, I was offended by that, rather than being paid my proper fee.

    in reply to: Bizet’s “L’Arlesienne” #151860

    I love it with flute and harp. I have recordings by Beecham and Stokowski, and they certainly liked to hear the harp. Some harpists just don’t project or don’t try to. Bizet writes beautifully for the harp. Don’t be put off by the part.

    in reply to: beginning harp and violin duets #166540

    With a good amount of practicing, you may be able to do The Swan by Camille Saint-Saens.

    in reply to: recordings in which the harp is heard #151878

    Druzinsky’s recordings are indeed exemplary. A good piece for comparison is Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra. He also did a great Stravinsky Orpheus, which has major harp parts. If I want to learn a part, I like to find a Chicago recording. More recently, you can hear San Francisco harps pretty clearly, and Milwaukee. If you can find the Balanchine collection with the New York City Ballet Orchestra, you’ll hear the awesome Cynthia Otis playing a lot of exposed music. Minnesota’s Peter Grimes Incidental Music under Marriner is wonderful. It would be interesting to compare the various harpists who have played under Stravinsky and Robert Craft.

    Chicago: Druzinsky

    Minnesota: Joan Mainzer

    San Francisco: Doug Rioth

    Milwaukee: Danis Kelly

    other players I like to hear: Dotian Levalier, National Symphony; Ann Pilot, Boston Symphony; Lise Nadeau Harmon, New Jersey Symphony; Reinhardt Elster and Florence Wightman, Metropolitan Opera; Lucile Lawrence, Stokowski and His Symphony Orchestra; Alice Chalifoux, Cleveland Orchestra; and others. And we should remember the wonderful second harpists, too.

    Listen to real harps, not a synthesizer. Software will totally mislead you. We can plays glissandi as scales or as chords. We generally double the tonic and the third to make a chord, sometimes other tones depending what is possible.

    in reply to: Bizet’s “L’Arlesienne” #151857

    To my ears, it is a major harp part, and the harp leads the other instruments. They are doubling the harp, not the other way around. I would think of it as classical rather than pianistic. I love to play it as a solo. It’s a bit like Berlioz in his Symphonie Fantastique: hard to learn, but worth it in the end. The harp also seems to carry pretty well.

    in reply to: Which Pedal Harp to buy!? #71728

    All harps, it seems, have gotten heavier. When I was young, they weighed a mere 78 pounds or less. The necks are bigger, the bases are heavier.

    in reply to: quitting #84338

    Sorry, Elinor.

    in reply to: quitting #85561

    Sorry, Elinor.

    in reply to: Looking for harp teacher (Salzedo) in London/SE England #84449

    I suggested Catherine White as a possibility.

    in reply to: Looking for harp teacher (Salzedo) in London/SE England #85672

    I suggested Catherine White as a possibility.

    in reply to: quitting #84337

    That’s a great idea, Elenor, but it wouldn’t have worked on the teen I had recently. It’s a tough call.

    in reply to: quitting #85560

    That’s a great idea, Elenor, but it wouldn’t have worked on the teen I had recently. It’s a tough call.

    in reply to: at home at work #151894

    I would practice up to two hours, and spend some time on your solos for work. I would recommend slow, easy exercises done with much repetition for as much relaxation and improvement of suppleness and control as possible. I would use LaRiviere and the Lawrence/Salzedo method exercises and repeat each one at least ten times. I would practice different types of arpeggios in four tempi,

    in reply to: Singapore #151901

    I think she completed her doctoral studies. She also was offered the position of principal harp with the New York City Ballet Orchestra, but turned it down, as I heard it.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,116 through 2,130 (of 2,806 total)