paul-knoke

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp Suits #145677
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    My performance garment of choice is a traditional Nepalese tunic. It’s made of plain, heavy black cotton with a slightly brushed nap to it. It has a plain band collar and buttons almost invisibly down the side. The sleeves are loose, and have no buttons to click against the body of the harp. It also has a small concealed pocket that’s just the right size for a tuning key. That and black trousers and I’m all set.

    When I got a tuxedo, I got a shawl collar jacket (looks better unbuttoned), and had the whole thing tailored to accommodate the requirements of playing.

    Once I got caught playing Mahler 4 in a jacket that was too tight across the back for me to reach the lowest strings in that last movement solo. Never again!

    in reply to: How to play ornaments in Krumpholz Sonatas #145933
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Hi Zoe

    Those are appogiaturas rather than grace notes in the modern sense. As in Baroque performance practice, they should be played on the beat, take roughly half the value of the “main” note, and often slightly emphasized to make the most of the dissonance and resolution.

    For an excellent overview of harp performance practice of the late 18th century, get a copy of Mike Parker’s book “Child of Pure Harmony”. In it, he brings together a lot of information from the many harp method books published during Krumpholtz’s time.

    Hope this helps,
    Paul

    in reply to: How Old is too old? #156074
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Condition does indeed count for a lot! I have harps that are 200+ years old that play just fine, albeit after restoration/conservation. Something that’s worth bearing in mind is that if you’re looking at a harp from before 1940, you should do some research on how they were meant to be strung. Putting modern strings on an old harp can lead to some big problems!

    in reply to: Best way to re-string an Entire Harp? #70030
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    To Laura:

    Not to worry. Vanderbilt now gets all their gut strings from Bow Brand. The Burgundy strings are just factory seconds with some slight visual imperfections.

    in reply to: Research Project #156174
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Hi Kate

    Absolutely, it’s OK! However, my email access may be limited for the next week or so.

    Paul

    in reply to: Research Project #156172
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Hi Kate

    Any chance you’ll be at the Edinburgh Harp Fest? I’d be happy to meet you there to talk more about your research (18th century harp is my special interest). If so, you’ll be able to find me or leave word for me at Michael Parfett’s table.

    Paul

    in reply to: Research Project #156168
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Hi Kate!

    I’d be very interested in learning what you find out about how the harp was regarded in the 18th century.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    in reply to: Sweetland-Schimmeyer Co. Harp???? #70363
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Hi Shannon

    Google again, this time putting just

    sweetland harp

    in the search field, not in quotes. It will bring up a lot more information, including at least one older post from here. Let us know how it goes!

    Paul

    in reply to: need concert pedal harp crate #70359
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Hi Denise

    You can order the shipping boxes, complete with packing materials, from Lyon & Healy.

    Best,

    Paul

    in reply to: Update on Basel #103916
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Do please keep us posted. When he is settled somewhere, I’ll sort through my music library and see what I’m ready to part with. If he wants any of it, I’ll happily ship it off to him.

    I hope he had insurance. Long story short: some years back one of my harps was destroyed in a vehicle fire. It was a tough time, but I was able, with the help of friends and colleagues in the harp world, to replace that harp with three that I prize and cherish just as much as I did the one that got burnt.

    Moral of the story: sometimes, when you least expect it, something goes right.

    in reply to: Harp made by Northwest Luthiers Association #70601
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    I would not buy this harp without trying it in person. The whole layout of the instrument is very unusual, and it would be difficult to know if you’d be comfortable playing it unless you “try it for size”.

    in reply to: your visit card Design,what do you write there? #146853
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Could you perhaps make the card two-sided, with English on one side, and Arabic on the other?

    I’ve also found that using an ivory or pastel colored card stock helps make the card stand out in a stack of the more usual white cards, and more memorable to potential customers.

    in reply to: Earliest pedal harps? Earliest French harps? #71071
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Dear Daniel

    As a charter member, past president and current secretary of the HHS, please accept my apologies for any lack of responsiveness on our part. I was not made aware of your inquiries.

    You may want to avail yourself of Laure Barthel’s book ‘Au Coeur de la Harpe au XVIIIeme Siecle’.

    Here are some links to articles on Beat Wolf’s website:

    http://www.beatwolf.ch/hochbrucker.htm

    http://www.single-action-harp.ch/downloads/Restoration%20Louvet%20harp.pdf

    http://www.single-action-harp.ch/downloads/The%20Louis%20XVI-harp.pdf

    There are also pictures of an early Louvet at

    http://www.thurau-harps.com/

    Click on ‘Harps’, then scroll down and click on ‘Antique and Used Modern Pedal Harps’, then scroll down to find the Louvet.

    The earliest extant pedal harp would probably be either the Hochbrucker described in Wolf’s article, or the one in the Kunsthistorishes Museum.

    I’m not certain about the earliest French harp of any kind that can be specifically dated, but I do know that Mike Parker built a copy of a French triple harp that was dated 1710.

    I hope this information is useful. Please do let me know if you have any more questions.

    Thanks,

    Paul

    in reply to: Brahm’s 4 Songs #147290
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    I would strongly advise you to turn down this job. The Brahms songs are very difficult. It’s unlikely that they could be learned to performance standard in just four weeks, and to attempt it is to risk serious injury. The organisers of this concert should have planned further ahead!

    in reply to: Mozart and the harp of his time #147627
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Say, I haven’t seen Sure Carole DeVale in years! She used to come to the Historical Harp Society conferences. I’m sorry to hear she’s having problems with her harps. I really should get in touch with her.

    I’m surprised to hear that people are having problems mustering an audience for period harp recitals. I’ve had good attendance at the concerts I’ve given here. Maybe it’s a regional thing. After being snowed in all winter, Rochesterians are happy for any excuse to get out of the house!

    The idea of compositions with measures that could be shuffled persisted for a long time after Mozart. There was even a machine, The Componium, built that could do that, if you wanted to listen to it for hours while it worked through all the possible combinations.

    I play in the Brighton Symphony Orchestra. It’s a community orchestra made up of players of all ages (youngest is 15, oldest is 93) and skill levels (hobbyist to professional). We play at least 12 concerts a year, with each program performed twice, once for the general public and once for audiences who are not otherwise able to attend live concerts: nursing homes, residential hospitals, and the like. It’s a great group of people!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 197 total)