harpcolumn

Best way to re-string an Entire Harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Best way to re-string an Entire Harp?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

My L&H 85 CG is really in need of all the strings to be changed. Since I’ve never changed strings by entire octaves before, I’m not sure which octaves should be changed first. ( Also, I always make sure to do one string at a time not remove 8 strings at once) Usually I put in the wire strings one by one and then spot check any of the gut and nylon. But in this case, Do I go in order from 1st octave down, or do I change the wires first and go up from there, or does it matter? Also what’s the best time frame for the strings to be comfortable in each octave? (Like wait to change 3rd octave or 5th octave within a week or month of each other etc.) I’d appreciate any tips! Thank you!! 🙂

Tacye
    Participant

The harp doesn’t care what order the strings are changed, and you might as well change them all more or less at the same time so you only have to put up with the strings settling once.

I would take 4 or 5 off at a time as a manageable number you won’t have to leave half done.

laura-palmieri
    Participant

Thanks Tacye!

I would not take off more than one at a time, it causes too much flux in the sounding board. The wire strings are the hardest, the gut strings are tricky. The highest strings are a bit quicker. The wire strings come up to pitch faster.

It takes a couple of weeks or so for any of the strings to settle, depending somewhat on what type or brand they are.

laura-palmieri
    Participant

Yes, I always remove one string at a time otherwise I forget which string I’m doing also! 😀 Saul, I wanted to ask you, I have always used Bow Brand but now I’m on a really tight budget since I have so many strings that need replacing that I decided to go with Vanderbilt Burgundy instead. (Should not have let the gut strings go this long, but I think Christmas really did them in last year. ) I really like the bright sound of the Bow brand so I’m a little worried about how the sound will be with the Vanderbilt since last time I tried them on my harp was years ago and they eventually settled to be too warm for my taste… I asked the lady at Vanderbilt and she said they should be pretty close in comparable in sound. Any thoughts?

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Here’s what I do: I restring an octave at a time each day until I’m done. Start by removing the top octaves plus the top F and G. Then working from the top down, start replacing (put the date on the bag’s

Hi Friend!

I start at the top, because those are the ickiest for me to do, and I want to get that part over with. I do one at a time. I use Pirastro nylons at the very top. After I finish the top octave, I move to the bottom and start from the bottom up one at a time. I know you know that I like the silver/coppers at the bottom, and I get those at Vanderbilt Music. I just keep going up, because it gets easier and easier once I get through the big honkers and move up. I just keep going one at a time. I usually pick an empty day to do it because it takes me a long time, as I keep going back and tuning as I go up. I stretch, then tune, stretch then tune, then go back and tune up again and again. It does take a couple of weeks to get it all to settle. I see this as justification to have 2 pedal harps so that there is always one which is settled and stays in tune — but so far haven’t convinced my bank account of this. 🙂

paul-knoke
    Participant

To Laura:

Not to worry. Vanderbilt now gets all their gut strings from Bow Brand. The Burgundy strings are just factory seconds with some slight visual imperfections.

laura-palmieri
    Participant

^^^ Hi Dear Friend!!! 🙂 🙂 Thank you for your reply! My harp has been sounding so dull lately and I figured its because I haven’t changed the gut strings in about 3 years. 😛 Bad me. 😛 ( Plus, I missed the harp regulation time slot last summer since I was in Europe so that didn’t help either) . I have heard good things about the Pirastro strings so I’m hoping I can get the funds someday so I can get those put on!

Paul: Thank you for letting me know! 🙂

Tacye
    Participant

How old are your wires?

laura-palmieri
    Participant

One year old wires. I get them changed every year usually with my harp regulation. I had to change them early this year and I’ve already noticed a big difference.

I have Vanderbilt Classics on mine. They are nearing the 3-year mark now, and I can feel thin spots on some of the strings. I couldn’t go more than 3 years. This is the longest my strings have ever been on my harp. They’ll be changed as soon as the cash flow gets slightly better here. Laura, I only put Pirastros on the top octave. I could never afford Pirastros on the whole harp….yikes! But for the top where the tiniest sound is, I find Pirastros ring the best.

laura-palmieri
    Participant

I agree! I’m thinking it’s even been more than 3 years for me sadly. My 3rd and 4th octaves are completely worn where the tuning discs are and desperately need to be changed. I hate the way my top octaves are sounding too but I think it’s always been my harp. I love,love the sound of your harp!!! So beautiful! I think I was spoiled last summer listening to Camacs and Salvis all the time so now my ear longs for that sound. Need, to figure out a new harp someday! Wish it could be sooner than later, but I have to sell mine first which might take a while. I’ll keep dreaming….. 🙂

I’m so craving an Atlantide myself, but it’s not going to happen. I like my Athena, but every time I play Kerstin’s Atlantide, it makes me want one soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. I still sit at mine though and hug it and wonder how I got so lucky to have my very own nice pedal harp…..so the greedy thing needs to stop for me. LOL…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies