paul-knoke

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: changing felts #76287
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    The clamps are for holding the felts tight while I trim and sew them. I hold the pedal in position with a big screwdriver that has a kind of deep groove around the handle, and a rubber cover on the handle. I pull the pedal in question towards me, and stick the screwdriver crossways behind it. The rubber handle (and the pressure from the spring) keeps the screwdriver in place, and the groove keeps the pedal bar in place. Did I describe that OK?

    in reply to: changing felts #76285
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    I use spring clamps originally intended for gluing ivory key tops onto piano keys. The springs are flat, hence less in the way when I’m sewing the felts on. Yes, I know I’m probably one of the last people still to be sewing the felts on….

    in reply to: Female Composers of the harp #61428
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Check out Petrucci for songs by Mme Delaval, or Sofia Dussek…….

    in reply to: Erard harp (n°4501) – value estimate #76207
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Where are you located? I may be able to refer you to an appraiser.

    in reply to: Repair on the west coast (CA)? #76200
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Interesting example by a less-well-known maker! I like the art nouveau influences in the decoration. If you just want the gilding repaired, and not have the harp made playable, you can try inquiring of picture frame restorers.

    in reply to: W. F. Dwight Harp Mfg. Company, Milwaukee, WI #76161
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    A Dwight harp turned up on eBay a few years ago; I wonder if this is the same one? It appeared to be from sometime between about 1875 and 1910. There were a number of small and poorly documented harp makers in the U.S. in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Some were very good; others had some experimental designs that may not have been so successful. The Dwight on eBay looked like it had a good layout; probably based on French harps of the same or a slightly earlier period. I would strongly recommend using nothing heavier than ‘lever harp gauge’ strings on it, with fibre-cored bass strings, and not tuning it above a=435, since those are likely the parameters for which it was designed.

    in reply to: Researching Angular harps #76002
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Hi Lisa

    Angular harps aren’t my field (early pedal harps are!), but you may be able to find some answers on these Yahoo boards:

    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHarp/

    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/harpmakers/

    HTH,
    Paul

    in reply to: Researching Angular harps #76000
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Hi Lisa

    Have you contacted the Campbells (the harp builders in question) yet?

    http://campbellharps.com

    They also made a harp patterned after an ancient Egyptian “tomb harp”.
    BTW, have you attended any of the Historical Harp Society workshops and conference?
    Hope this helps,
    Paul

    in reply to: Suggestions for music for a Jane Austen themed evening #61327
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    The sonatas of Sophia Dussek, P. J. Meyer, and Krumpholz would all be appropriate to the period..

    in reply to: Looking for music for a harp/cello/violin trio #61266
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Maybe some of the Krumpholz sonatas for harp, violin and ‘cello would be useful. They’re available as free downloads from Petrucci:

    http://imslp.org/wiki/4_Sonatas,_Op.12_(Krumpholz,_Jean-Baptiste)

    in reply to: ID a harp? #68968
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    It depends somewhat on how much the asking price is, and whether the harp is in tune and playable. Are there any harpists in your area who could try it out for you? I’m not saying it’s a no-go, but I would proceed with caution when buying any harp not from a recognized builder.

    in reply to: Classical harp solo to fulfill audition requirement #165680
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Take a look at the sonatas by Meyer or Krumpholtz. There are a lot to choose from!

    in reply to: Serious original pieces written for Celtic harp #102168
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Well, there are the late 18th century Sonatas for hook (lever) harp and violin by Lorenz. I believe they’re still available in excellent editions by Mike Parker, through lulu.com. Quite lovely, and fun to play!

    in reply to: INAUDIBLE HARP PARTS #145593
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    I usually just double the right hand part with my left, an octave lower. The texture there is about as dense as it can get, so there’s no way the lower registers of the harp will be audible anyway. Plus, that passage is going so fast that it’s more important to keep with the rhythm and harmonic structure than to labor over each and every written note.

    in reply to: Harp Suits #145681
    paul-knoke
    Participant

    Here’s where I get the jackets, though I go there in person:

    http://www.dharmaware.com/dharmawear/shirts.htm

    I misremembered; they’re Tibetan, not Nepalese. At least I knew it had to do with the Himalayas! Anyway, the jackets run true to American shirt sizes: small, medium, large. Thy fit me well, though I’m tall and thin…..

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 197 total)