harpcolumn

Brahm’s 4 Songs

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Brahm’s 4 Songs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I just got an email for a potential gig. They want me to play the Brahm’s 4 Song in less than 4 weeks. Of course, I need to get the music and mark it, learn it and get it up to speed. Having never performed this one before, I am feeling that it might be a bit of a rush. I haven’t responded to the inquiry yet; what would be your advise?

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Have you managed to listen to it? It’s a lovely work but parts of it are not that easy. The first movement is straightforward hand-over-hand arpeggios (allegretto-ish) but they’re pretty pedally. Of the 2nd and 3rd movements, one of them is simple – just chords – and the other is moderately difficult if the conductor wants you to play those figures very fast; but you can make them easier for yourself by playing the ascending notes with one hand and the descending notes with the other, instead of doing it all with one hand as it’s written.

The glorious and dramatic fourth movement is pretty challenging, especially in view of the tempi – and bear in mind that you can’t hear everything that the harp has to do from a recording.

If you can get ahold of a CD or find it on YouTube, the best thing to do is give it a close examination following along with the score. You can download a PDF of it here:

http://ia600603.us.archive.org/34/items/gesngefrfrau00brah/gesngefrfrau00brah.pdf

If that doesn’t automatically load, try the main page and then click PDF in the sidebar to the left:

http://www.archive.org/details/gesngefrfrau00brah

Of course, a lot will depend on the speeds the conductor wants to take these at, so see if you can get him/her to give you metronome markings for the tempi.

Let us know how you get on! Best of luck –

Yes, I listened last night before posting the question. The fourth mov’t is why I posted the question as it sounded challenging, considering how short a time I’ll have to prepare.

paul-knoke
    Participant

I would strongly advise you to turn down this job. The Brahms songs are very difficult. It’s unlikely that they could be learned to performance standard in just four weeks, and to attempt it is to risk serious injury. The organisers of this concert should have planned further ahead!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies