patricia-jaeger

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 950 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Looking for a syllabus, help! #150531

    Esperanza,

    in reply to: Looking for Strining guide Older L&H Troubadour #74585

    Susan,

    e-mail me privately and include a mailing address, and I will send you the list of proper string gauges from early troubadour harps I used to own. I only have the data for the diameters, in milimeters;

    in reply to: Sore fingers and blisters – what can help? #155877

    Renate, Mildred Dilling recommended tincture of myrrh, a clear liquid that any pharmacist could provide for you. I have not needed it myself because violin study came before harp and many years of my fingers pressing on the ebony fingerboard made them strong. When I began to get some splits in the tips of thumb or index finger from harp playing, however, an application of an over-the-counter antiseptic called Polysporin, covered by a band-aid at bedtime, usually meant the splits were healed by morning. Also, be careful not to remove too much fingernail when you are filing them down, but just enough.

    in reply to: New teacher!! Methods?? #84072

    Jane, since you asked for suggestions for a harp method, just about the most current one is Harp For Today by Susann McDonald and Linda Wood Rollo. With numerous color photos, and exercises from the most basic to more advanced, I believe it is adaptable to most beginners of any age. It has no pieces, just drills, technique, and quite a few pages of advice. However, this allows you to choose pieces that just fit the student. The patterns are easily memorized so that soon the student can play sections by ear, with eyes on the harp strings, which I find very valuable.

    in reply to: New teacher!! Methods?? #84785

    Jane, since you asked for suggestions for a harp method, just about the most current one is Harp For Today by Susann McDonald and Linda Wood Rollo. With numerous color photos, and exercises from the most basic to more advanced, I believe it is adaptable to most beginners of any age. It has no pieces, just drills, technique, and quite a few pages of advice. However, this allows you to choose pieces that just fit the student. The patterns are easily memorized so that soon the student can play sections by ear, with eyes on the harp strings, which I find very valuable.

    in reply to: New teacher!! Methods?? #85295

    Jane, since you asked for suggestions for a harp method, just about the most current one is Harp For Today by Susann McDonald and Linda Wood Rollo. With numerous color photos, and exercises from the most basic to more advanced, I believe it is adaptable to most beginners of any age. It has no pieces, just drills, technique, and quite a few pages of advice. However, this allows you to choose pieces that just fit the student. The patterns are easily memorized so that soon the student can play sections by ear, with eyes on the harp strings, which I find very valuable.

    in reply to: When I fall in love for lever harp #150629

    Laura, I don’t have a harp arrangement for that piece, but I think since you found a piano arrangement, you could adapt it. First see if the melody, or soprano line, has any accidentals. If not, just leave it alone. Now the rest of the harmony underneath was surely designed for a pianist with 5

    in reply to: Music written (or arranged) for harp & spoken word #108390

    Another harpist who has written for multimedia is Shannon Shuen Chieh, of Taiwan. Her 2002

    in reply to: Scholarships for Summer Music #84089

    I regret, it seems

    in reply to: Scholarships for Summer Music #84802

    I regret, it seems

    in reply to: Scholarships for Summer Music #85312

    I regret, it seems

    in reply to: 2 harps at once! #108397

    Michael, another harpist, Betsy Mills, had a long restaurant job in California, about thirty years ago, playing two instruments at once: an electric keyboard with one hand, (I seem to remember her left), and her pedal harp with the other. It was very pleasing to hear, especially as she could sustain bass clef

    in reply to: Magistretti Technical Exercises #150691

    Mel, I have the Magistretti Daily Exercises for Harp (Pub. Ricordi. 1928) and they are good, BUT VERY DEMANDING. On page 7 he is showing sliding tenths, which would

    in reply to: Opening Pieces #150580

    Recently the well known harpist Louise Trotter,

    in reply to: Incorporating theory into lessons #84091

    Loretta, try Music Theory at the Harp, by Kathy Bundock Moore, in four volumes. It’s available from David Kolacny music store and publisher, in Denver, CO. I like it that each volume has detachable answer sheets at the back so that students can refer back to those

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 950 total)