harpcolumn

Opening Pieces

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Opening Pieces

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

What are your favorite pieces to open a recital?

I have tried lots of different ones. I don’t want to be stuck always doing something most historic first.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Etude No 6 by Bach/Grandjany in C Maj (middle of the book) – very easy and memory-lapse-proof

Etude No 1 by Lariviere (middle of Watkins book) – fast and busy, so that hands don’t have time to tremble

milena-stanisic
    Participant

F. Godefroid: Concert study in e-flat minor

Pierne: Impromptu caprice

Mudarra: Fantasia en la manera de Ludovico

These are my favourite pieces to start recital with.

I used the Mudarra as my second piece on my last recital. Opening with the Pierne is very brave, but I can see the confidence you would have from getting through it.

Lorenzo Montenz
    Participant

Dear Mr. Zlatkovski

I agree with you that the chronological sequence could be expected and not original. Anyway my personal point of view is that at the

Recently the well known harpist Louise Trotter,

Please tell me who published the Prelude by Enescu. I would disagree with one thing. I rarely see programs that are arranged chronologically. One positive attribute of such a program is that the ear is not shocked by sudden contrasts, but gradually led through styles. Pianists tend to start with classical sonatas or Bach. That is more of a cliche to me, and we don’t have very many classical sonatas anyway. We do have some nice modern classical pieces, the Maghini Suites being two of those.

Lorenzo Montenz
    Participant

Dear mr. Zlatkovki

The prelude by Enescu is the first mvt.of his Piano Suite op. 3 n.1. You can find the suite in free download version at this web page:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Enescu,_George

The idea to start with a Sonata could be good, maybe a harpist could open with one of the sonatas by Naderman, Krumpholtz or Dalvimare (I definitley would prefer Dalvimare because I love his sonatas).

carl-swanson
    Participant

I think one of the things to consider when arranging a program is whether the audience is made up of harpists or non-harpists(non-musicians). If the people attending the concert are not harpists or even musicians, there’s a good chance they have never heard solo harp before. In choosing an opening number for that kind of audience I would stick with something relatively short and very melodic. The Harmonious Blacksmith variations, the Glinka Nocturne, or any number of Handel theme and variations come immediately to mind.

I would not personally begin with those composers unless I was still a student. They are not musically of sufficient interest for any serious listeners. They are okay for casual listeners or salons. I would open with Beethoven’s Variations on a Swiss Air, Spohr’s Fantaisies (when will the second one be published?), anything by Handel, Spanish baroque music, many pieces called Prelude. Grandjany’s Children at Play would be an excellent opener.

Thank you for the link. It looks interesting. So do the 5-7th movements. I never thought of his piano music, because he is often too chromatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDS7hS4hBe4 – great YouTube video of Ion Ivan Roncea playing the Enescu Prelude. Incredible tone and clarity!

I have decided to go with C.W. von Gluck this year. What a wonderful composer.

jordan-thomas
    Participant

This is just what i was wondering! this answered my question hahaha

I opened one recital with the Alojz Srebotnjak Preludes. I liked that. The first one is excellent for that and they progress in an interesting way. There are several modern pieces that are good to start with, I think. But I do like starting in the baroque period or earlier. I think the audience’s ears need to be warmed up as well as our fingers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies