patricia-jaeger

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 950 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • About ten years ago I went to trifocals, with no dividing line on the lenses. Top area for distance, bottom area for close work and reading; middle area for arm’s length (e.g. harp) focusing. In a week I got used to these and wear them all day, without needing to change to another pair. Not sure if the “computer progressives” are the same thing, but these are fine for me and the cost was reasonable.

    in reply to: Teaching small pupils at their homes #82421

    I have not taught small children in their own homes on the harp. When I was first beginning to teach music it was violin, and I recall two young students in grade school, where the parent had me come to their house for the lessons. After several lessons I had a conversation with the parents about how I could give a better lesson in the same hour, if the student could come to my home instead where there was an abundance of teaching tools of various kinds, so the student could learn easier and achieve more in the assigned hour. The parent agreed, since this makes economic sense. Since you teach these young children, see if a similar conversation with those parents will produce a result of adding that student to your studio location. If the “who can bring the student-I go to work” question comes up, you could agree to some unusual hour for the lesson with you (temporary, because life is full of changes, and perhaps a friend of that parent will help, etc.) and also as this small student grows in responsibility there might be bus or other transportation available. Hopefully soon you will be teaching better, in your own workspace!

    in reply to: Teaching small pupils at their homes #82419

    There is no way that a teacher can customize a lesson to a harp student, young or old, without all the equipment that is in the home/studio of the teacher: various pieces of music, metronome, C tuning fork, large mirror,- many other things that in a flash, just as needed, the teacher can use. Having a piano to demonstrate certain points about intervals, having a large library of different composers; possibly a computer loaded with a rhythm game or an example of someone playing the student’s piece-all these accoutrements can enrich the lesson so there is more learning and motivation going on. The student’s home is where they can be casual. The teacher’s home/studio is a formal place where going in the door each week means respect for someone knowing more about harp and able to pass that knowledge along; not to a listener with a casual attitude.

    in reply to: Gliere/Isaac Russian Sailor’s Dance #145158

    Sylvia, the J.W. Pepper music companycarries the full orchestra arrangement of this piece by Merle Isaac. You could either call them at 1-800-345-6296, or look at the first page of the score online, which shows no harp, only piano. I read that balalaikas were included in The Red Poppy, the ballet from which this dance came, and perhaps they were not in this particular Sailor’s Dance. In any case here is the link to view that score, first page only:

    http://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/pdfviewer.jsp?prodnum=0261271&pf=I_261271

    in reply to: Studying Harp in College #155425

    Elle, if you are not majoring in music in the college you plan to attend, then try to decide

    in reply to: Lever Positions When Tuning #82622

    Martin, according to “The First Lady of the Harp”, as the late Mildred Dilling was called, Carl’s view above is spot on.

    in reply to: Help! Camac Korrigan tuning pegs slipping? #68955

    Some reamed tuning pin holes, especially in very old harps, may be just a bit too large for the pins. After removing the string and then the tuning pin in such a case, put a flat toothpick (avoid the round ones) part-way into the empty hole, before adding the pin. Then break off the remainder of the toothpick. Sometimes that extra “shim” is all that is needed to solve the problem.

    in reply to: Electric Acoustic Lever Harp recommendations #68970

    Jade, consider a Dilling single-action lever harp, portable

    in reply to: How do you practice on the road in hotels? #102931

    Abby, I also play violin professionally and when I don’t want to disturb others I use a heavy “practice mute” that sits in top of the violin’s bridge. I think many musical instruments have some kind of a mute. Years ago,

    in reply to: Day Licenses #145348

    I should have mentioned, my business license, nine digits long, is issued by Washington State Department of Revenue.

    in reply to: Busser sommeil #145350

    Anita, I have this as a violin and harp arrangement, Belwin. But I see in the

    in reply to: Need a pedal harp in Rochester, NY #69018

    Roxanne Ziegler in Rochester has a web site and puts her contact information on it for anyone to use. She is a harp teacher and performer and is likely to know of someone who might have a harp to rent.

    in reply to: Halloween music #155545

    In the Hall of the Mountain King-Grieg.

    Danse Macabre- Saint-Saens

    Music from “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”- Dukas

    “The Teddy Bears’ Picnic” (watch and listen on You Tube”)

    You could arrange the spooky bits from pieces like this and make a medley, perhaps, with added sound effects of your choosing, including swooshes on your bass wires. Consider paper woven between the strings. Bring along a small mallet-played wooden toy; small blown instrument like ocarina, etc. Have great fun! Record it to save for next time!

    in reply to: Day Licenses #145346

    The information in the above post is true also for the large city on the west coast where I live. My late husband was in law enforcement and it was important for me to get a business license as soon as I began to teach and play here, many years ago.

    in reply to: Classical harp solo to fulfill audition requirement #165681

    I seem to remember that the

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 950 total)