Another new wedding scam?

• Participant
    David Ice on #145833

I got this email tonight. The verbage, syntax, everything is totally wonky.

Participant
    barbara-kraichy–2 on #145834

Hi David,

Participant
    Alison on #145835

I think it sounds dreadful, just like many of the scam calls I get from India (not harp related) and I wouldn’t get strung along… What if you responded, got drawn into this and took a fake booking, turned up and had your harp stolen?

Participant
    Elizabeth Volpé Bligh on #145836

Wait a minute…if the guy has an English-sounding name, how can it be that his English is so bad? This sounds like a scam to me.

kreig-kitts on #145837

“Your city” and “State” instead of just saying where? What’s with the date formatting? Scam.

I wouldn’t respond even once. At work I sometime get calls at my extension for a person who has never had my number or even worked there. A few years ago one was from one of those “World Lottery” callers. After I told him she never worked here and this is a business number, he started asking my name, and he wouldn’t go so I finally hung up. He immediately called back, I refuse to answer and hung up again, and immediately, I’m talking within seconds, he called again and I hung up without speaking. The next call, again a second later, I let go to voice mail, which he filled with screaming profanity “Don’t you @#$&ing hang up on me!!!!”

So I wouldn’t invite further communication of any sort. Scam emails are intentionally written to sound suspicious, so that only a sure mark will respond. If you give them a nibble they’ll go full out and will give you no peace.

Participant
    rosalind-beck on #145838

Sounds fishy to me. Reminds me of an e-mail my husband (who teaches bassoon) received lately in which a “Mr. Bright James” was looking for an “instructor” for his daughter Mary, “a 13-year-old girl” who had been home-schooled. The message asked for all sorts of information the writer (Mr. James) should already have had and never mentioned anything about the bassoon or any other instrument. We did not respond.

Participant
    adam-b-harris on #145839

Man this smells so bad – I mean “your city” come on.

I wouldn’t answer this but if you want to mess with him tell him you live in Christchurch New Zealand and that you will meet him for lunch.

Spectator
    alice-freeman on #145840

I wouldn’t respond at all. These scammers are VERY HARD to get rid of if they ever think they have your interest. Not a chance I would want to take.

— Alice in windy Wyoming

Participant
    David Ice on #145841

Thanks to all.

robin roys on #145842

I agree that it is a scam, but WHAT exactly is the scam? I get this kind of email at least 2x per month. Are they just wanting a working email address??

Participant
    David Ice on #145843

Robin, that’s probably just it….finding a “real” address can be sold to lists.

Participant
    carl-swanson on #145844

It may also be that with that rare gullible person who talks to them, they are able to elicit all kind of personal or banking information.

kreig-kitts on #145845

Robin here is the general scam:

They send a check, and for some reason it’s over the amount required. For a musician it might be so you can forward a commission to an agent they use to arrange something or other, or maybe they say it was an accident, or they cancel shortly after the initial deposit, or whatever. There will be some reason you’ll need to wire money somewhere else. Shortly after you do so, your bank will find out the check was a forgery and debit your account, and now you’re out the money you sent.

A variation might be that they send you a check, and shortly after you get a somewhat official looking email from someone claiming to be in law enforcement somewhere stating that your account received XYZ funds from a known terrorist/drug trafficker/whatever and now you’re under investigation for money laundering, and you should pay this penalty immediately under threat of arrest. It will be the scammer or an accomplice, and shortly after you pay the fee, your bank discovers the check you got was a forgery and again you’re out the money.

Finally, as others have said, they might just be trying to get information. They want to pay you in advance with a wire direct to your bank account, so they want your routing numbers etc. and maybe some personal information for “tax purposes”. They then might go on a shopping spree, wire money from your account to another they cash out before you catch it, or forge checks in tour name that they use to con others.

robin roys on #145846

Wow! That’s quite the scam. Thanks for educating me.

My husband and I had $58,000 scammed from our credit card a couple of years ago.

Someone got the number, maxed it out, made a phone payment for the full amount, maxed it out, made another phone payment, etc. for several days.

By the time the bank figured out the phone payments bounced they had charged $58,000 on our card.

We got several messages from the credit card company but the people calling had such thick accents we couldn’t understand them and figured it was a scam and never called back!

It was a HUGE mess to straighten out and considered MAJOR fraud by police, etc….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.