keziah-thomas

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Any other UK harpers out there? #112263
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    Hi Lyn
    I just saw that you are thinking of coming on this year’s Retreat to the Harp. Please do, it will be fun! Last year, none of the participants knew each other, arrived terrified and left with 13 new adult harpy friends! I would be very happy to put you in contact with a couple of participants who came last year and have signed up to come again this year.

    in reply to: Harp/Flute/Viola Piazzolla #146578
    keziah-thomas
    Participant
    in reply to: Grammy award winning harpists #106089
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    This year, Sarah Schuster’s ’20th Century Harp Sonatas’ CD was nominated in the ‘best solo instrumental performance’ category…a huge achievement…the CD is excellent!

    http://seharp.com/discog.htm

    in reply to: CPE Bach Harp Sonata #148053
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    Do you know about the following workshop at the RCM?

    05/10/2010

    Inner Parry Room at 14:00
    C P E Bach’s Sonata for harp is a standard for most harpists today. Italian harpist and authority on this sonata, Emanuela Degli Esposti gives us an insight into her interpretation of the music.
    Free, but tickets required.
    RCM Box Office 020 7591 4314
    Weekdays 10.00am-4.00pm or book online
    in reply to: Renting/practicing on a harp in England- August 2010 #149749
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    Hiya

    I am in Crystal Palace, near Croydon and could help. Send me an email: keziahthomas@hotmail.com

    in reply to: What’s the worst thing that’s happened in a lesson? #88058
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    Two little stories:

    In a singing lesson at school I fainted…no lunch, a hot day and lots of breathing exercises…my poor teacher was so worried!

    In another lesson (not saying when, who etc…) I went to the toilet in the middle of the lesson only to be greeted by the teachers partner having a shower. Was mortified…I always tell my boyfriend to lock the door if I’m teaching.

    in reply to: lever harp music with special harp effects #89120
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    A Minstrels Gallery by Skaila Kanga has about 30 pieces for lever or pedal harp. It is beginner/grade 1 or 2 level and has 3 or 4 fun pieces with effects. There is one called The Snake Charmer. Spooky City…you can imagine what they’re like!

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144937
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    Well being 25 last week, maybe I’m getting old but I find the kids are impressed by the following (some prob uk famous only ie. haven’t managed to break america yet!!!!)
    Busted (my pupils esp love their home-made loveingly by me arrangements for grade 1 harp)
    Daniel Bedingfield
    Will Young
    David Grey
    Nora Jones
    Harry Potter film music
    Guys love Lord of the Rings music
    U2, basically any songs you hear on the radio that would some better on the harp!
    Also, UK rapper Dizzy Rascal has a sample form South Pacific in his latest single so you may be that cool without even realising it!

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144939
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    Thank you for the greeting-I played for someone’s wedding that day!!!!!
    I have the Nora Jones 1st album book-Come Away with Me and there are about 4 song which sound ok although they are quite tricky to translate as her melodies are so vocal (hope this makes sense)
    South Pacific….Dizzy Rascal is SO funny, you must try and hear the song but the chorus is ‘How you gonna make a dream come true’ from the show.

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144935
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    Alex, Happy New Year, boy have I missed out on some gems!!!!
    Men’s feet are generally disgusting; pongy and hairy toes I’m thinking so…. I’d advise very bad idea if you are trying to look appealing (main reason to play the harp in my opinion!)

    Message to Christian:
    Are you sure you’re cool and hip?..EMINEM is the coreect spelling or maybe you mean’t someone more ‘underground’?

    Re. pedals can’t damage….I have a scar on my foot from a pedal springing up, maybe ok in Faure but watch out for Boulez!

    in reply to: Check it out…Joanna Newsom #167654
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    Flattery will get you everywhere!!!! But I’m not the one with the ????’s!! Wish I was more funky too, but unfortunately I’m not blessed with such an interesting voice as Joanna. However YOU should def go for it especially if you add some other instruments -maybe a bit less acoustic could be good? Let me know how your recording goes…..

    in reply to: Check it out…Joanna Newsom #167652
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    Hi Alex,
    I got my copy at last…..and I love it!!!! Been emailing all my harp buddies to buy it too. Think me and you should be her UK distributors or a least get free concert tickets?!! I’m really enjoying her crazy poetry and especially the non-harpy harp playing. I think most people would imagine harp and voice to be folky new-age wishy washy but it’s really funky and rhythmical. Lovin’ It!!!!!

    in reply to: Complaining neighbours…eek. #167684
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    Hi again Alex! I sympathise 100% with this….I have the same problem. I live in a flat and the lady above me hates my harp playing/teaching. She is a shift worker and sometimes sleeps in the day when I need to play. I have lived here for 2 years and it is such

    in reply to: Boieldieu harp concerto question #151624
    keziah-thomas
    Participant

    I was using the Ricordi edition but now have the Billaudot edition. It has been revised by Marielle Nordmann and has some great fingering.
    I’ve been practising it all morning so next time i’ll be thinking of you! Ps. re the octaves at the end Marielle has a bracket round some so I think she’s suggesting splitting them between the hands and leaving leaving out a line….if i’m correct…..yipee!!!!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)