harpcolumn

Check it out…Joanna Newsom

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Check it out…Joanna Newsom

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    alexander-rider
    Participant

Hey y’all, I have something you might all like, its

keziah-thomas
    Participant

Hi Alex,
    I got my copy at last…..and I love it!!!! Been emailing all my harp buddies to buy it too. Think me and you should be her UK distributors or a least get free concert tickets?!! I’m really enjoying her crazy poetry and especially the non-harpy harp playing. I think most people would imagine harp and voice to be folky new-age wishy washy but it’s really funky and rhythmical. Lovin’ It!!!!!

alexander-rider
    Participant

S’brill ain’t it? she’s abit of a genius, especially since I fully intend to be a bit of an “indie” harpist. ;)(first band thang/recording on friday baby).Its hard coz I always sang with the harp (folk, own stuff etc.) now I would be afraid to go into it to risk comparison…Oh well looks like I’ll just have to make do with a major symphony orchestra *sigh*

keziah-thomas
    Participant

Flattery will get you everywhere!!!! But I’m not the one with the ????’s!! Wish I was more funky too, but unfortunately I’m not blessed with such an interesting voice as Joanna. However YOU should def go for it especially if you add some other instruments -maybe a bit less acoustic could be good? Let me know how your recording goes…..

alexander-rider
    Participant

The recording went really excellently. Me pal had all the gear in his room, and it was a just a case of me improvising until we found something we liked. We did this really cool thing where I played one thing then another and they overdubbed it. So the instrumental sounded really good anyway and I’m gonna get a copy of the finished track soon.It was nice harp-playing if I do say so myself, picky and modern, but not gagging on its own prettiness. Wow! my 1st job as a sessions harpist! Excitedly yours, Alex

unknown-user
    Participant

I finally heard some Joanna Newsom. I was in an art supply store and they were playing a tape. Her harp playing was very interesting, very creative and musical. Her voice was worse than Phoebe on “Friends”. And the lyrics: chew and chew and chew and chew

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.