column

lever harp music with special harp effects

Home Forums Teaching the Harp lever harp music with special harp effects

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeralee
    Participant

I have a student who has been playing for a few years on a

Troubador.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well it has a lot to do with how advanced she is. Nancy Gustafson has a couple of pieces in

The Magic Road that use a lot of effects. If she’s really advanced, the Epices by Bernard

Andres are effects-intensive and playable on a lever harp. There are lots of others as well.

Can you tell us the kind of stuff she’s currently working on? That would help narrow it

down a little.

Jeralee
    Participant

Thanks Barbara, I had forgotten about the Magic Road stuff. Right now she is working on Canon in D – the McDonald version.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi!

There are several Bernard Andres pieces with cool effects.

keziah-thomas
    Participant

A Minstrels Gallery by Skaila Kanga has about 30 pieces for lever or pedal harp. It is beginner/grade 1 or 2 level and has 3 or 4 fun pieces with effects. There is one called The Snake Charmer. Spooky City…you can imagine what they’re like!

unknown-user
    Participant

Kim Robertson has some original compositions that are very creative!

karen-conoan
    Participant

Beginner:

Lynne Abbey-Lee
    Participant

I have also used some of the Gustavson and Andr?s pieces, which I like. However, my

favorite lever harp piece with special effects is Kymation by Darhon Rees-Rohrbacher,

published by Dragonflower Music. It calls for tuning of F#, G#, A#, B#, C, D, and E natural,

so some re-tuning may be required, but it’s worth it. The special effects include glisses,

harmonics, pdlt, xylophonic sounds, nail glisses, tapping with fingers and knuckles, and a

whistle (quickly sliding your flattened hand up on the wire strings to create a whistle

effect). The students I’ve used it with have also enjoyed it. I would probably rate it

advanced-beginner or early intermediate (definitely easier than Andr?s’ Epices, for

instance).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.