Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: First harp advise please! #75345
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Have you taken a look at these? http://www.heartlandharps.com

    They are ergonomically designed, and seem very portable and available in your choice of woods.

    Personally, the Dragonheart is my dream harp, after having heard the tone.

    Happy Hunting,

    Karen

    in reply to: Christmas Lever Harp Music #159760
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Now, I’m not familiar with some of the titles/composer’s you mentioned, but one piece I’m working on that I really enjoy is the medley by Sylvia Woods titled “Arabian Dance/We Three Kings of Orient Are”. This is found in her Two Christmas Medleys sheet music. It is in the intermediate range, and you can see a sample of the music and hear a clip of how it sounds if you go to http://www.sylviawoodsharpcenter.com

    in reply to: Yoga for Harpists? #108913
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I do yoga as often as I can, and there are at least three poses I can think of right off the bat that are good for stretching out the back. The cat, dog, and child pose. The child pose helps the shoulders as well as releasing tension in the back. Hope this helps.

    in reply to: Where to find “The Peacock’s Feather” music? #159939
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Also, you may want to check out the tune called “The Parting Glass”. Just read on the session that the peacock’s feather can be another name for this tune.

    in reply to: Where to find “The Peacock’s Feather” music? #159938
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well,

    I did a quick search and I found the melody on http://www.thesession.org by typing in the title in their search engine. No chords or bass line though, you may want to send an email to the harpist on youtube and ask where they found it.

    Good Luck :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Wire harp question for Bernhard & Liam #159893
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hmmm…perhaps if a few of us try to get

    in reply to: Christmas! #151355
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    And that is how I play it, Tony! :-)

    in reply to: Wire harp question for Bernhard & Liam #159889
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    You are referring to brightness in sound, right? This is very interesting! The wire material itself lends to different sounds, as we have already discussed, with steel seeming to have won in the brightness area. I’m not sure if an epoxy finish will help, what it may do is cut back on the sustain if it inhibits the vibrations in the soundbox. Not sure what the harder box will do though. We need Michael or Bernhard to chime in here and lend their opinions. I know when I’m in way over my head, but what a fascinating subject -you

    in reply to: Wire harp question for Bernhard & Liam #159887
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    in reply to: Christmas! #151352
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I really like Carlos Salzedo’s version of “I Wonder as I Wander”. Simple, elegant, poignant- perfect for creating a meditative ambience.

    in reply to: Wire harp question for Bernhard & Liam #159885
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    in reply to: Wire harp question for Bernhard & Liam #159883
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Whoops, sorry Liam. Yes, you do have the chart right, I had to copy it from my sheet and that was how it was listed. And it appears your strings on your Druid are even thicker than mine. I feel ashamed for belly-aching now! LOL

    in reply to: Wire harp question for Bernhard & Liam #159882
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    The soundboard on the Limerick is 5-ply Finnish aircraft birch. Doesn’t get much stronger than that, or so I’ve been told. Constructing this kit was a dream-the soundboard slid right into slots pre-cut into the sides of the soundbox, no finishing strips to glue on or sand. The base is also pretty wide for a lap harp, a little awkward (knee-bones are a must!) but the projection is awesome. Had a soundguy in awe of this harp at a festival I played at this past summer.

    Done bragging now….;-)

    in reply to: Wire harp question for Bernhard & Liam #159880
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thanks Michael and welcome! I’m really glad you chimed in, and I believe your experience does apply.

    in reply to: Wire harp question for Bernhard & Liam #159879
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Yes, that is what I love about the sound of this harp- the steel strings

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 542 total)