Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: First harp advise please! #75385
    Karen Johns
    Participant
    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102986
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Ahhh, I see! That explains a lot- I had no idea you did this too. It’s also nice to connect a face with a personality :-)

    I’m sure I will enjoy playing those arrangements- I sure

    in reply to: Intermediate Irish tunes #158664
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thank you, Rachel! I was thinking about getting the Dawning of the Day book, in fact I even have it marked on my wish list at Melody’s. I’ll check into the Kim Robertson arrangements, but I may not be up to that performance level yet. Something to look forward to though :-) I don’t care too much for the faster tunes,

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102984
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102983
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Me too, Sylvia! I typed my name and “harpist”

    in reply to: Roland mobile cube #75388
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hmmmm…now I wish I would have waited before I got my Crate Taxi. How much did the Roland cost you?

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75381
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Me too Briggs. I truly like you as a person, and I get frustrated by how things are so easily misunderstood when using such a medium as this. I much prefer face-to-face. BTW, my offer of lunch still stands. I believe I gave you my phone # in a former email. Call me anytime :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Intermediate Irish tunes #158662
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thanks Tony!

    I actually have the Scottish book and the Irish Book, but not the dance tunes.

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75375
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    OMG-LOL!

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75367
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, OK then, I revoke my apology. It appeared by your post that I had offended you, as you were awfully quick on the draw and pointed out it was your harp that had the Camacs on it. And by this post it also seems you are on the defense. I was only trying to be polite- a mistake I shall not soon repeat!

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75364
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75362
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, I did get to see Camac levers up close and personal and I find them rather big and bulky. I’m sure they worked just fine, a lot of

    in reply to: Silly Fun….. #108928
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Oh My! Did you get a picture? My husband rides and would really appreciate seeing something like that! LOL

    Happy Halloween Everyone!

    in reply to: M or m #159912
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    If you have chord notations, lower case “m” is minor, and upper case “M” is major (or it will be a stand alone, like “C”). For instance Am = A minor, and C = C Major. A really good source for chord notations is Sylvia Wood’s chord chart. It lists all of them.

    in reply to: Wedding Policy for Friends? #151267
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, if you haven’t seen them for five years since high school then I would expect they are not close friends. And I think if you send them a contract with your fee clearly laid out, there should be no misunderstanding. If you get the impression on the phone that they are hedging for a bargain because they knew you, you could use your husband as a scapegoat to back out of the deal (with his permission, of course!) But it really depends on how well you knew this friend back in high school and how much you value their friendship. Is it worth selling yourself short?

    I think I would get a big ball of anxiety if anyone from my high school called me to play harp at their wedding. Those were some of the most awkward and insecure years of my life. To have people around that reminded me of that would definitely unglue me!

    Good Luck~

    Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 542 total)