Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Best self-teaching materials? #159531
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well said, Tony. I second your opinion. For me, I have little to no interest in playing classical music, with the exception of a couple of popular pieces. Guidance is all I really need, and I have had that. Your explanation was right on the mark, IMO.

    Karen

    in reply to: Best self-teaching materials? #159527
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I recommend Pamela Bruner’s Play the Harp Beautifully Series. That is what I used and it worked well for me. Have yet to hear anyone fault my technique or sound, and I have performed at weddings, music festivals, wine tastings, churches, etc. I also teach harp. Perhaps I am the exception rather than the rule. I do feel it would have been easier to have had a teacher from the onset though, but at the time I started learning harp there were none available within less than an hour’s drive from me. So glad to see lessons offered now via Skype- what a nice option for the geographically isolated harp lovers like myself….

    Also I must note that I play strictly lever harp. I would never dream of taking on a pedal harp without a teacher.

    Hope this helps.

    Karen

    in reply to: Things to Be Thankful For #108858
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Amen.

    And thanks for sharing~ Happy Thanksgiving

    Karen

    in reply to: Things to Be Thankful For #108855
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Wonderful post and happy birthday Briggs! My reasons for thankfulness:

    1. Jesus

    2. My healthy, happy family surrounding me this day!

    3. My musical talent and the ability to share it with others~

    4. My wonderful friends and harp students~

    5. Living in this wonderful country (God Bless the USA!)

    6. A job that I love- and the wonderful people I work with~

    7.

    in reply to: What music to buy? #159742
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hi Emma,

    What type of music do you like? Celtic, classical, pop, new age, etc.? There are a lot of excellent music books out there for beginners, I really liked Sylvia Woods Teach Yourself book as it progresses rather quickly and most of the songs were of a Celtic nature. I also like Pamela Bruner’s Midsummer Meadow book.

    Karen

    in reply to: sight reading #159749
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Learning the patterns on the harp is such a valuable tool. Once you recognize arpeggios, 4-2-1, chords, etc. the left hand or harmony (sometimes this is in the right hand too)becomes very easy to sight-read. Then it’s just a matter of looking at the melody. I’ve been really working on this myself, re-training myself to sight-read more rather than memorizing. I can manage simple pieces pretty well, intermediate is still a challenge though.

    Karen

    in reply to: Catherine Michel on Youtube #146535
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Beautiful! Thanks for sharing Carl- I just wish I had better speakers on my computer so I could have enjoyed it fully. That trill was just excellent! I know it will take lots of practice (we’re talking years)to get even close to that, but seeing it sure helps the motivation. :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: BUILDING CONFIDENCE! #108881
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    WOW- wonderful performance Christian! Thanks so much for sharing this with me. You are an inspiration.

    Karen

    in reply to: Harp teachers are a blessing #84256
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Our students are just as much of a blessing! I have two students that, to me, are angels placed on this earth to give me a purpose. Teaching them has been both a joy and honor. I wish I could thank my teachers in person someday- even though they weren’t there in person their method books and DVD’s helped me tremendously on my harp journey and I couldn’t have come near this far without them. Thanks to Sylvia Woods & Pamela Bruner. :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Harp teachers are a blessing #84969
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Our students are just as much of a blessing! I have two students that, to me, are angels placed on this earth to give me a purpose. Teaching them has been both a joy and honor. I wish I could thank my teachers in person someday- even though they weren’t there in person their method books and DVD’s helped me tremendously on my harp journey and I couldn’t have come near this far without them. Thanks to Sylvia Woods & Pamela Bruner. :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Harp teachers are a blessing #85479
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Our students are just as much of a blessing! I have two students that, to me, are angels placed on this earth to give me a purpose. Teaching them has been both a joy and honor. I wish I could thank my teachers in person someday- even though they weren’t there in person their method books and DVD’s helped me tremendously on my harp journey and I couldn’t have come near this far without them. Thanks to Sylvia Woods & Pamela Bruner. :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Moonlight Sonata and Air on the G string #151212
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I love Moonlight Sonata- just starting to look at it on the harp. It does have a lot of accidentals so this one will take me some time to learn. I’ve heard it played on lever harp by Pamela Bruner and it’s just beautiful. I hope someday will a lot of work I can do this piece justice.

    Karen

    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Neka,

    Let me see if I understand this correctly- you paid $75 to discuss what kind of harp you should rent/buy? Was there nothing else covered? Call me cheap, but that seems like an AWFUL lot of money just to talk about what kind of harp to get. But I do know that pedal harp instructors can charge quite a bit for lessons, never heard of an orientation though.

    Karen

    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Neka,

    Let me see if I understand this correctly- you paid $75 to discuss what kind of harp you should rent/buy? Was there nothing else covered? Call me cheap, but that seems like an AWFUL lot of money just to talk about what kind of harp to get. But I do know that pedal harp instructors can charge quite a bit for lessons, never heard of an orientation though.

    Karen

    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Neka,

    Let me see if I understand this correctly- you paid $75 to discuss what kind of harp you should rent/buy? Was there nothing else covered? Call me cheap, but that seems like an AWFUL lot of money just to talk about what kind of harp to get. But I do know that pedal harp instructors can charge quite a bit for lessons, never heard of an orientation though.

    Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 542 total)