jennifer-buehler

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 703 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: tell me about your lap harp #76318

    I do like the knee bones! If i’ve been playing for a long time, I do find that my hip starts to hurt because I tend to raise the leg a little to get the harp where I want it. But it does make playing a lot easier.

    in reply to: What’s on your music stand? (February 2013) #61476

    Jerusha

    Have you ever spent time on his website? Simon Chadwick puts such amazing scholarship into his study of the wire strung harp

    in reply to: What’s on your music stand? (February 2013) #61474

    I love Lament of Tristan. Gorgeous piece! I got several pieces of music from Sylvia Woods for Christmas and have been working on those. Ive been working on the music from Brave and Sylvia Woods arrangement of Fireflies.

    in reply to: tell me about your lap harp #76316

    I have several. I have a Stoney End Brittany that is a heavy piece of work for it’s size. A harpsicle with a very sweet voice and very light weight. It’s bright yellow and I’ve had kids talk about getting to see Miss Jennifer’s golden harp! My favorite is a Triplett Christina. It has a pretty, mellow voice and is fairly light weight.

    Dusty Strings are very wide at the top. I have a Square back Thormahlen Serenade that is much easier to reach around than even a stave backed Dusty.

    in reply to: String question #76294

    LOL! I can sympathize! I have three kids of my own and have been there!

    I always keep an entire set of strings on hand. Right now I couldn’t afford to replace a whole set of strings so would probably replace my replacements one at a time as needed.

    As far as string tolerance for being out of range, I think it depends on what the string is made out of and where in the range of the harp it is. I’ve strung one of my harps with flourocarbon strings and a few are at the outer edge of the vibrating length. I definitely couldn’t use them on any higher pitches.

    I know on my main harp, several pitches use the same diameter string anyway. Check your string chart!

    in reply to: Slap bass #60126

    Yolanda Kondanassis is so amazing! Thank you for sharing! I love Chinese folk music and that was brilliant. I had never heard Chanson dans la Nuit (sp?). I loved the “Spanish guitar” section in the middle. Is that piece lever friendly?
    Thanks Erin for sharing the info of the Jazz Pop Harpfest.

    in reply to: Slap bass #60123

    I like this video because he slows it way down and focuses on what the different hands are doing. I’m not sure I’m that coordinated though! 🙂

    in reply to: Slap bass #60121

    Wow Jerusha and Patricia! That was amazing! I wish I could have heard the bass a little better. She brought incredible rhythmicity to He’s Got the Whole World just with the syncopation of the melody. The pedal slides also gave it a lot of zing.

    It looks like they have a Jazz and Blues focus session at Somerset this year.

    in reply to: Slap bass #60116

    What is this interesting percussive technique that starts about 1:30 in?

    in reply to: Slap bass #60115

    Jerusha I love the video you shared. Do you think that the electrified harp helps it sound more percussive?

    in reply to: Slap bass #60114

    Thanks Lori! I also love the bisbigliando at the beginning! Something else I’d like to get better at! Being primarily self taught is some what of a disadvantage for learning some of these fun harp effects. In this video by Cheyenne Brown, is she achieving the percussive effect in the second piece primarily by a flat hand muffle?

    in reply to: favorite traditional/celtic/early music arrangements #112221

    I’m a big fan of Beth Kolle’s books. A lot of open fifths and time for the bass to ring. I also like the Scandinavian pieces that she includes because the harmonies and modes are so unusual. The duets are pretty versatile as well. I’ve done them with two harps and harp and flute

    in reply to: Rapidly repeated bass notes #60068

    That fast, there’s going to be some muffle noise no matter what. this may sound more exciting and percussive. however, if it were me, I’d eliminate some notes. The Sylvan is fairly long ringing. Let that sound shine. That’s just me though.

    in reply to: Nylon String In Bulk #76006

    http://www.robinsonsharpshop.com/strings.html

    When I had my Heartland I ordered replacement strings from Vermont Strings (the East Coast shop) and was really pleased with the customer service.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 703 total)