harpcolumn

tell me about your lap harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories tell me about your lap harp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

I’d like to get a lap harp for summer vacations, possibly for walks in the woods.. the places we’re going to are driving distance so don’t need something for plane. Please tell me about you lap harps. What do you like about it, how often and on what occasions do you play it? Maybe someone will share something that will help me make a decision. So far I like all of them and would like to narrow it down so I don’t end up with a rental train of 5 harps or more… thanks!

Deb, I have a lap harp, cherry wood except for gold painted carbon-fiber sound chamber, 22strings, lap braces, lowest C string is 1 octave below middle C. It weighs just under four pounds. This was called the Linrud Minstrel harp and was made by Earl Thompson, engineer, now deceased. Because the spacing is almost exactly like that of the strings of a large concert harp, these sold very well. Mildred Dilling was his best customer and Earl told me I was the next best, gradually acquiring 46 over the 16 years that I taught a beginning harp class in my city. All were rented out and eventually sold to class members, except mine.There must be a maker somewhere of quality lap harps who has that C3 as the bottom string and C6 as the top string, so both hands can easily perform with standard string spacing, no levers needed. This is a wonderful size and range to take in a car or boat on vacation, to keep fingers in shape, and accompany family and friends singing or playing. Good luck searching for a similar harp.

deb-l
    Participant

hi Patricia, yours sounds like a very special lap harp. I like the idea of getting a lap harp from an individual luthier rather than a factory harp, it makes it more personal. But I also like a couple of factory models. Looking at the bardic 22, which is tiny enough to take back packing, but not sure if I can find enough music to play on it, nice an bright for traditional too, and also the triplett Christina and the Lewis Creek Nightengale, which would make wonderful Therapy harps as well. As usual it comes down to a decision based on what I play to use the harp for, hope I can decide by spring, I have spring-harp fever : ) thoughts of playing the harp outside running rampant through my mind. I have the Aziliz which is wonderful for most circumstances though so not sure I really ‘need’ a lap harp.

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Deb, I don’t currently have a lap harp, but when I did, I took it with me to many places. I don’t have any actual advice about what TYPE of lap harp (mine was a Mideast harp, so we won’t go there), but as for REASONS to have a lap-harp, I had many! It was SO easy to hike down to the creek and play, take it to my friends’ homes for some surprise mini-concerts (they liked that), open mic nights at the coffee shop, it fit in the small car along with luggage AND a kid in a carseat, etc.
    I will say that 22strings worked ok for me, but when I get a good lap harp someday, it will have at least 26.
    Happy harp-hunting! 🙂

deb-l
    Participant

thanks Allison, your post made me smile.. I know you’ll find a nice lap harp someday. Your mention of bringing your harp to the creek is making me want Spring NOW!! can’t wait. May just get a good carrying case for the Aziliz so I can take it out more and try the harps at Somerset before choosing. Spring – Harp fever .. hope it’s not contageous

I have a little Stoney End Eve. It’s old, but was in brand new condition when I found it on ebay a few years back. It had no levers, and it needed new strings just because of age, but it’s a really really nice little harp. It has a beautiful voice, and the string tension isn’t too floppy. I’m a pedal harpist, so the harpsicles were a little too loose in tension for me. I had Bill Webster install full Loveland levers on it, which makes it very versatile. I used to take it to school so kids could see a real harp and even try it out. I also took it to the nursing home where my mom was bed-ridden and in the late stages of dementia. I used to play for her sometimes. I could tell she liked it. It has a very soft, sweet voice. Lately it’s been in its case too much. I need to take it out and play it. It’s a really sweet little harp.

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Deb, I’m definitely excited for spring, too! And, oh how I would love to get to Somerset sometime. All those harps and harpers in one place–how wonderful! 🙂

deb-l
    Participant

Allison, I went to Somerset last year and it was a little overwhelming, and I didn’t have enough time… hopefully next year I will be able to take it all in. It’s amazing to see so many different harps and harpists all in one place!

Briggsie, I love the way you describe your “Eve’, how you were able to expose children to the Harp and how you played it for your Mom. I think a lap harps beauty lies in the memories we have of the people we shared them with and the experiences we have with them. It’s really wonderful that you were able to bring peace to your Mom by playing your harp. Thank you for sharing your harp and your story.

I have several. I have a Stoney End Brittany that is a heavy piece of work for it’s size. A harpsicle with a very sweet voice and very light weight. It’s bright yellow and I’ve had kids talk about getting to see Miss Jennifer’s golden harp! My favorite is a Triplett Christina. It has a pretty, mellow voice and is fairly light weight.

deb-l
    Participant

I love the way children think, a golden harp! Do you find the knee bones make the Christina more comfortable to play? I like the delicate sound and they seem just the right size and shape for comfort.

I do like the knee bones! If i’ve been playing for a long time, I do find that my hip starts to hurt because I tend to raise the leg a little to get the harp where I want it. But it does make playing a lot easier.

I’ve just been thinking that I’d mention that I’ve tried just about every method of holding a lap harp and like knee bones the best. I started out with the infamous harp bra. It worked well for me because it was light weight and easy to take from room to room when playing bedside. However, some people found that the harp tipped forward too easily. I’ve found that the balance point of a lap harp is just as important as the balance point of a floor harp. If I place the knee bones in the wrong place, the harp will tip.

I now have a Le Stik for my Stoney End. I ordered it a little too short so the harp sits a little low for me. It’s a also a little expensive because it’s made of solid wood and has some custom made fasteners. It’s basically a vertical knee bones, as it clamps to the back of the harp in a similar way.

If you ever have the chance to take a workshop with Harper Tasche, he talks at length about different ways of holding the harp and about how to get the most out of your particular instrument.

deb-l
    Participant

thanks Jennifer, I don’t think I would enjoy a lap harp if I had to be very focused on holding it steady, which makes them trickier to play than a floor harp. I don’t like the look of legs on lap harps much so that’s why I was thinking of the knee bones. I saw a picture of someone playing a Shanti with the knee bones and that harp looks huge to balance like that. I’d like that workshop with Harper Tasche it would be ideal to play a small harp comfortably without needing legs or knee bones. I’ve seen video’s of people playing them while seated on the floor and that looks fun.

Briggsie,
    I keep meaning to ask, Did you have to custom order your knee bones or where did you get them from? Part of the reason, I have a Le Stik for my Brittany is that there isn’t much room either side of the sound hole. I didn’t think a regular knee bones would fit.

I’m trying to remember where I got my kneebone….I think maybe here. This one looks just like mine, and I remember I had a choice of finish: http://www.harpkit.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Bones&Category_Code=all
    but look at this one. I think this one looks really nice because it has those contours for your legs, and they give you all the specs you need for measurement:

https://www.harpcenter.com/product/triplett-lap-bar/harp-accessories-1

Briggsie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.