Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: grade 2 piano first #142495

    I took piano for seven years before taking harp lessons. At first, the harp seems similar but the more you play, the more different the two instruments become. I would briefly point out the similarities – certainly being able to read bass and treble is a huge advantage – but stop at that. Teach the harp the way you would any other pupil and put the piano thinking aside.

    And, no, lever harp is not a step down. I started with pedal harp but got drafted into the university renaissance ensemble in which I had to teach myself lever harp. Both harps have their place, and there is certainly a lot more quality music available for lever harp than in the 1970’s when I started to play harp.

    in reply to: buying a trolley and transport cover #142480

    You can contact Salvi Harps in California info@salviharpsinc.com, or check the website http://www.salviharpsinc.com. They may be able to send a transport cover directly to you and certainly would know who carries them in Canada. I have the Salvi transport cover and like it a lot. However, you do need a waterproof mat to put under it when loading/unloading it outdoors. The base cover is in two sections. I always use an outdoor mat with a rubber bottom just to make sure the harp does not slip when tilted to load or unload.

    Also, I have seen a harp cart that has what looks like a snow-shovel bottom which would be good in a northern climate. I do not know the maker.

    in reply to: renaissance wedding #142461

    Harpist Patrick Ball has an excellent recording of “Come Live With Me and Be My Love.” You can listen/buy it on Grooveshark along with his other Renaissance/Celtic music – of which there is a lot!

    in reply to: Help finding Aljonushka by Mchedelov #142402

    Svetlana, thank you for Alyonushka. You have a nice website and other excellent arrangements, too. I appreciate that you show yourself playing as well as making your sheet music available.

    in reply to: "Tension" of a Harp String #142389

    Please send all this information to Bow Brand International Ltd. I just restrung my harp yesterday and one of the lower octave gut strings broke already.

    in reply to: Making "dark" music #142378

    Alan, do you know anyone who plays organ or has a keyboard/synthesizer that can produce deep organ sounds? I would add some long organ chords to your music to make it sound “dark.” You can go to youtube and do a key word search “organ harp” to listen to clips. You say “show” so is this going to be a live performance? You could record dark background tracks and play along if you are doing this live.

    Otherwise, try music you know in a minor key, perhaps an octave lower than written. You could also set your levers to play some slow glisses. Have fun experimenting. You’ll come up with something that works. I hope you will post a clip when you are finished the project.

    in reply to: Squeaky Harp Strings #142371

    It seems like your squeaky string problem is caused by the strings you are using. My Bow Brand strings squeak loudly if I wash my hands using any liquid soap – dish or hand soap. I always use pure olive oil bar soap for hand washing.

    FYI – Make sure you have really NEW Bow Brand strings. There have been major problems with them breaking. It has certainly been a problem for me this past year. You can go to http://www.vanderbiltmusic.com to read a brief overview of the problem.

    in reply to: Help finding Aljonushka by Mchedelov #142298

    Svetlana,

    Thank you for offering to email the music. I sent you a private message via Harp Column. If you did not get it, my email is on my profile. I prefer not to post my email contact here because I don’t want it to become public on the internet.

    in reply to: Leaving your harp in the car? #142296

    Ben, my concert grand was sent from California to Florida in July two years ago. When it arrived, and I opened the box, it felt like a furnace blast. A few strings popped when I took it out. But otherwise, the harp was just fine and remains so. You may want to check with the maker of your harp. I would make sure the harp is insured before you move. If something happens on the trip,I doubt your car insurance will cover anything.

    Also be sure to pack your harp tightly so it doesn’t bounce or shift around. I use garden kneeling pads under the top of the column and base for extra protection.

    in reply to: Help finding Aljonushka by Mchedelov #142266

    Svetlana, I would like to have the pedal harp version, if it is available. Your lever harp version on youtube is beautifully played and arranged. Great video.

    in reply to: Fiddler on the Roof for solo harp? #142007

    Angie Bemiss has an arrangement for “Sunrise, Sunset” in her book Unforgettable Theatre Treasures available at Melody Folk Harp http://www.folkharp.com. You may be able to get it as a single copy if you contact Angie Bemiss. Her book is good to have for gigs.

    in reply to: Squashed Under My Harps #141932

    Well, I tried to insert a youtube link but it didn’t work. Mia, go to http://www.youtube.com and in the search box, type “Basic Harp Techniques – sitting position.” Harpist Telynau Telfi has some excellent tutorials for lever harp. I play pedal harp and found the videos useful.

    in reply to: Squashed Under My Harps #141910

    Mia, it would be helpful to you for playing both your harps to have an adjustable bench. But it you cannot get one, then perhaps trying different pillows or seat cushions is what you must do. I will try to find some links on youtube on how to hold a harp.

    in reply to: Squashed Under My Harps #141895

    Mia, You may have to lower your bench just a little. Have your hips just a little bit higher than your thighs. But before you do that, try sitting a little more on the edge of the bench. It is very important to find the balance point as suggested in another post. Keep moving your bench until you feel you can pull your harp back and it will stay up by itself. It will take experimenting. You could be sitting too close to the harp and not enough on the bench edge which would keep your leg from stretching to reach the A pedal. But, you are listening and making progress. Check out clips on youtube. I know there are several tutorials on how to hold a lever harp.

    PS/ Most harps are taller than the harpist. I had a petite harp instructor and she played a Salzedo with no problem.

    in reply to: Recording recitals #141808

    Ellen, I thought I just posted to the forum but apparently my reply went directly to you. I am fairly new to the iPad and the only app that I know well is forScore which I use for my sheet music. Garage Band is the app recommended to me the most by musicians.

    Perhaps someone else about recording apps for android and mac. You may want to start a new topic so readers can find the info in the archives later on. Angela is interested in low-cost, quality recording options.

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 866 total)