harpcolumn

Recording recitals

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Recording recitals

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Angela Biggs

Yesterday was my first experience putting on a student recital, a very small, shared recital with the local flute teacher. She had two students performing; I had one harp and one voice student. I recorded the performances with my cell phone on a whim and emailed them to the performers.

I’d like to do this more formally in the future. Can any of you recommend a relatively inexpensive video camera that’s easy to use, easy to transfer the files to a computer, and has a decent microphone on it? I’d prefer something that I can use with a beanbag-type stand.

Thank you!
    Angela

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I record my practice on an iPad. I’m sure if I used a microphone with it, the sound would be better. I put it on an inexpensive music stand with a universal mount to hold the iPad. The iPad makes it very simple to record and send videos. I use the iPad Air which is much lighter than the iPad 2.

Angela Biggs

Thanks, Gretchen! We’re a Windows household though, the iProducts in general are pretty far out of our price range. 🙂

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

It doesn’t matter with the ipad whether you are a Mac or PC household. Have you considered looking at other tablets? You can get an Acer Tablet on Ebay for about $100. They got very good reviews from various computer groups.. I’m sure if you do a little research, you could get a very high quality tablet for a low price. If all you want it for is recording/video, you don’t need the latest and greatest. If there are any computer stores where you live, ask their advice. Otherwise, find a friend to record your recitals for you in exchange for something – a performance by you, perhaps?

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Gretchen, which app do you use for recording?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Ellen, I thought I just posted to the forum but apparently my reply went directly to you. I am fairly new to the iPad and the only app that I know well is forScore which I use for my sheet music. Garage Band is the app recommended to me the most by musicians.

Perhaps someone else about recording apps for android and mac. You may want to start a new topic so readers can find the info in the archives later on. Angela is interested in low-cost, quality recording options.

Angela Biggs

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear. What I’m looking for is a relatively inexpensive standalone camcorder with a good microphone that will work for recitals. Relatively inexpensive as in under $300, the lower the better. I’m not in the market for a computer of any make, nor am I looking for a smartphone app.

Sony has one that is a video camera with a good microphone combined. It is marketed for jam session recording, and it is listed at $299.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.