Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Gretchen Cover
MemberThank you for the suggestions. I was also told that clarinet music and oboe (if it doesn’t go to high) can be played by viola. The violist said she could transpose violin to viola if it would sound all right.
Patricia, I will see if the violist knows of the 5-string viola. I do have O, Holy Night (including your arrangement) and other carols for harp/viola but I am looking for non-Christmas music.
Gretchen Cover
MemberCall Lyon & Healy immediately about your harp.
Gretchen Cover
MemberO, How A Rose E’er Blooming arr. Frank Voltz is written for lever harp, too. It has both lever and pedal markings.
Re: Little Fountain. There are no pedal changes. The downward arpeggios for the most part repeat themselves. Notes are the same for both hands. I would put it in the intermediate level. You can hear clips on youtube.
Gretchen Cover
MemberI believe harp benches are higher than a piano bench. I have an adjustable bench for a grand piano and it will not go up high enough to use with my harp.It caused shoulder problems when I tried to use it. It’s important if you play the pedal harp to have your bench up high or you risk shoulder, hip and/or back problems. My bench is set at almost 22 inches high in back, 21″ in front. It slopes downward from back to front. I am 5’7″.
Check measurements carefully if you buy a bench not offered by the harp manufacturer. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this,but I think Lyon-Healy and Salvi benches are the same. I don’t know what Ayoma, Venus or Camac offer for benches.
BTW, I just checked out the Virginia Harp Center website under “accessories.” They carry Lyon-Healy artist benchs, gig benches and other benches. The LH bench goes up to 22″, gig bench 23″.
Gretchen Cover
MemberJust because the harp bench doesn’t show up on a website doesn’t mean it is not available. Call Lyon-Healy or send an email asking about the bench.
Gretchen Cover
MemberPatricia, don’t presume every one you help is a harpist who is truly in need (especially when it comes to changing those lower wires).There are many people who buy harps to use as a decoration. Those who own parlor princesses or let a harp stand around for years should pay for professional services. It is like having furniture fixed for them.
Gretchen Cover
MemberI know of another harpist who was in the same situation. When she went to check out the harp, she discovered the pedals were frozen. The work needed was way beyond what she could do. I would suggest that you contact the harp maker and get some guidance. Before you call the harp company, you might want to get an idea of what strings are missing. Or you might want to look at the harp first before you make ANY commitment period, if it is close by. If the harp hasn’t been touched in 10 years, and it is missing strings, you could have a liability on your hands. Certainly, at a minimum ALL the strings should be replaced. I just bought a complete set of Bow Brand strings and it cost $520.00 US.
Gretchen Cover
MemberTimbre, I’m very sorry you had this unfortunate experience. I hope your harp is all right. Please everyone – enough lectures. How about a little sympathy and advice on drying out a wet harp:)
Carl, would using a dehumidifer help or could it damage the harp with too rapid drying?
Gretchen Cover
MemberWhile looking for some music, I came across more classical music for lever harp:
Medieval to Modern, Vol 1 & 2, Samuel Milligan
Music for Dauphines and Troubadors, S. and R. Pratt
Adagios, Kathryn Cater
Dance Suite in F, Darhon Rees-Rohrbacher
Handel for the Harp, Rhett BarnwellSample pages available on websites http://www.harpconnection.com or http://www.folkharp.com
Gretchen Cover
MemberClassics on Request, Vol 1 and Vol 2, arranged for lever harp by Barbara Brundage. http://www.seasidemusic.com. She makes her arrangements as close to the original as possible. Excellent arrangements that work equally well on pedal harp. I believe Melody Folk Harp carries the books. If so, you can see a sample page on the website http://www.folkharp.com
Gretchen Cover
MemberMae, I am super proud of you being able to get to level 5 in one year of harp playing. That is a huge accomplishment!! Congratulations on being brave enough to take the exam. I would have gone for the slow Pavanne over the presto Scarlatti:) Did you record your exam? I’m sure if you could listen to it, you played better than you thought. When you work on the level 6 exams, play what you really connect with. I hope you will move on simply to make yourself a better harpist and musician.
PS/ Don’t lose sleep over playing a few wrong notes. It’s live music – anything can happen. At least you didn’t break a critical string during your exam….
Gretchen Cover
MemberCongratulations again on your new edition of the Debussy Sonate pour Flute, Alto, et Harpe. You should be very proud of such an accomplishment.
Gretchen Cover
MemberAlison,
After all this discussion, I hope you get the pianist-turning-harp student, and you let us know how you approached your lessons. Tell us what works and doesn’t.
Gretchen Cover
MemberAlison doesn’t even have the student yet. I think she will need to make an assessment when she starts teaching. If she finds the student is moving ahead in a way that adversely affects technique, I am sure it will be corrected. I did not find knowing how to read music made me jump ahead. I had enough on my plate just learning technique, pedals etc. etc. I had lessons twice a week for a long time which kept me out of trouble. But, I was also told up front to do what I was taught and nothing more in the start or else…I was motivated enough to want to learn harp that I followed the rules:)
Gretchen Cover
MemberI think both of you are way over-thinking this. Figure you are lucky enough to start with a student that you don’t have to teach to read music. Yes, of course the first thing is to let the student know you only use 4 fingers and that the levers/pedals are the black keys on the piano. Go from there.
-
AuthorPosts