Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Recording recitals #141802

    It doesn’t matter with the ipad whether you are a Mac or PC household. Have you considered looking at other tablets? You can get an Acer Tablet on Ebay for about $100. They got very good reviews from various computer groups.. I’m sure if you do a little research, you could get a very high quality tablet for a low price. If all you want it for is recording/video, you don’t need the latest and greatest. If there are any computer stores where you live, ask their advice. Otherwise, find a friend to record your recitals for you in exchange for something – a performance by you, perhaps?

    in reply to: Recording recitals #141800

    I record my practice on an iPad. I’m sure if I used a microphone with it, the sound would be better. I put it on an inexpensive music stand with a universal mount to hold the iPad. The iPad makes it very simple to record and send videos. I use the iPad Air which is much lighter than the iPad 2.

    in reply to: Squashed Under My Harps #141769

    Mia, maybe your doctor can prescribe some physical therapy sessions. You may be able to have the physical therapist come to your home. Then you could properly learn some helpful stretching exercises. Any stretching will help you. Just remember to hold a stretch for at least 20 seconds. You can sit in a chair and do stretching exercises with your arms and legs. Or even sit on the floor and stretch. That is what you do in yoga classes. Check out some yoga or stretching videos on youtube.

    Maybe if you can post some photos of yourself sitting at your harp, someone on the forum can tell you whether you are sitting properly and if your bench is the right height. Definitely try a higher bench. That is the easiest thing to do now.

    in reply to: Squashed Under My Harps #141734

    Mia, your pain sounds like it is caused by not stretching enough. I take yoga lessons once or twice a week and try to stretch in-between and do some stretching after I practice a long time. If I don’t, I have the same pain you do. I have a slight curve in my spine, too. You may also want to try raising your harp bench a little higher.

    in reply to: Pop recessional ideas? #139045

    Suggestion from my 25 year old son and friends: “All of Me” by John Legend. There is a harp clip on youtube.

    in reply to: Pedal harp strings: Savarez or Bow? #137518

    Bonnie, I am not clear as to what Savarez strings you are using – gut or composite?

    If you click on the link on the Vanderbilt Music site – http://www.vanderbiltmusic.com – there is an explanation of the Bow Brand string problem.

    in reply to: Pop recessional ideas? #133163

    Katie,

    Have you considered Baroque Flamenco by Deborah Henson-Conant? There are 3 levels, and she encourages harpists to mix and match the parts. There are some youtube clips of recent performances. A few harpists are using the electric lever harp which should give you some new ideas how to play it. It could be a fun recessional – certainly different:)

    BTW, some of BF has been revised so make sure you use a current version of the piece.

    in reply to: Pedal harp strings: Savarez or Bow? #126861

    Saul, I am curious to know why you use nylon rather than gut on your 0-3 octaves. Does it make a difference to use Pirastro rather than other brands for the nylon strings?

    Also, does anyone use the gut Pirastro strings on their harp. If I thought Savarez gut were expensive, they are not compared to Pirastro! Are the Pirastro worth the extra money for the average harpist?

    in reply to: New format #117961

    First of all, thank you for all the work you do on Harp Column. I would appreciate it if you would make the typeface larger. It would make the website more reader-friendly.

    in reply to: Pedal harp strings: Savarez or Bow? #117663

    Thanks for your comments, Paul. I was shocked to see how much more expensive the Savarez strings are than Bow Brand. For the price, there should not be quality control issues IHO.

    in reply to: Time to buy a pedal harp for my daughter. Help! #78395

    Congratulations on the new harp! I hope your daughter and family have many years of happiness with it. Have you thought about taking up harp, too?

    in reply to: Handel Theme & Variations – join the dots #62316

    You are thinking of “The Harmonious Blacksmith.” There are clips on youtube.

    in reply to: Pain in the left shoulder after playing #60620

    Deidre, i would suggest you try putting your bench up higher. I would also suggest you take a camera, iPad or phone and have someone film you playing. Film from the front and the side. See if you are doing something obvious to bother your left shoulder. If you are not currently taking lessons, contact one of your former instructors to seek advice. Otherwise, work with your harp instructor. He/she would probably best be able to assess your current problem, either in person and/or by studying your video, if you choose to make one.

    Don’t be intimated or overwhelmed by all the advice. Everyone is simply concerned and trying to help you solve this problem. You can decide after reading posts what advice might be helpful to you.

    in reply to: Pain in the left shoulder after playing #60618

    Azillz, I am at an age where I do need to be careful about playing. I must pay attention to what my body says. I go to yoga class one or two times a week and try to do some yoga stretches everyday and stretch after I practice. Otherwise, I do not think I could play. Also, video taping yourself helps not only to hear what you play but to see how you play it. I tend to play too high on the strings and the video reminds me:(

    in reply to: Pain in the left shoulder after playing #60616

    Emma, I learned to hold the harp like you. I have an 88 pound Salvi Apollo and I never even notice the weight of the harp when I play. I let the balance do the work. It is so automatic I never think about whether I am supporting the harp on my should or knees. Sometimes I feel like my harp tilts back and stays on its own.

    Deidre, it would help the discussion if you would give us some info about your harp and yourself.

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 866 total)