harpcolumn

Silent Night for flute and harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Silent Night for flute and harp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I am playing two Christmas Eve services. I would like to find a good arrangement of Silent Night for flute/pedal harp. I have the Weaver and Brock arrangements which are great, but I am looking for something that is longer, more elegant, and would be good for offertory. Any suggestions (including piano/flute music)?

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Gretchen, Silent night is such a pretty piece, but every Christmas Eve service I’ve ever done it has always been the last piece of the service. Have you considered What Child Is This or Still Still Still?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Sid, my question was about an arrangement of Silent Night, not order of playing. I appreciate your music suggestions, though. Yes, I am playing Still, Still, Still along with Infant Lowly and Away in the Manager for the first service offertory. There are about 400 people who attend each service so I need about 6-8 minutes of music. I am playing It Came Upon the Midnight Clear and Silent Night for the second service. My selections revolve around other carols the music director selected first for the choir, singalongs, etc.

http://www.harpsetc.com/christmas-eve-sunita-staneslow.html
    This is a lovely collection of Christmas carols for harp solo, but you could always ask the flute player to read the top line over your shoulder.

Here’s another idea:
    http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/silent-night-harp-flute-digital-sheet-music/19847079

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Ok Gretchen, that makes sense. Didn’t mean to insult your selection.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Sid, I am sorry if you thought I was insulted. I was just trying to stay on topic. I appreciate you are trying to be helpful, and I thank you for your thoughts.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Elizabeth, thank you for the Silent Night link at the bottom of your post. I could not find a sound clip beyond the introduction, but I am going to splurge and just buy the music. Also, it was suggested to me by you and others to take harp arrangements and have the flutist play the melody line. I saw a video on youtube of a duo playing Frank Voltz’s Silent Night this way and it sounded great.

So now after all this, I got a call today saying Silent Night will be a singalong carol and to find something else for offertory:)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies