harpcolumn

Back pains-due to medical condition?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Back pains-due to medical condition?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

BS”D

Well, I used to play a curve-back Heartland harp but recently switched to a Livia, with a rounded back. I’ve also learned more about ergonomics lately.

A recurring issue: upper-middle back ache. When I play, I get this ache, and it is pretty unpleasant. I love playing my harp but it makes it feel like a bit of a burden when this pain comes.

According to what I’ve read, it seems to me that I am sitting properly, or at least trying to keep thinking of it and doing it right.

I wonder if the pain is due to a medical condition I have. It’s called diastasis recti, in which the abdominus rectus muscles are separated and weak. I’m trying to do exercises to correct it, but I’m still a long way away from the problem being repaired.

Is it possible that the upper-mid back muscles are carrying some of what the abdominal muscles should be, and thus are overstrained?

Thanks in advance for any insight-I could really use it!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

My chiropractor gave me a great exercise that helps with the upper back area you describe. He calls it North, South, East, West. Stand straight (but relaxed). With your arms/hands by your side, reach down as far as you can pulling your shoulders down. Hold for 20 seconds. Then keeping your arms/hands by your side, raise your shoulders up as high as you can. Hold for 20 seconds. Again, with arms/hands by your side, open your chest and try to make your shoulder blades touch each other. Hold for 20 seconds. Lastly, give yourself a big hug wrapping your arms around you to touch your back. Hold for 20 seconds. Make sure you feel your muscles stretch, but not strain.

Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

BS”D

Sounds easy enough! Thanks! How many do you suppose I should do?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I never thought to ask. I do it about 3 times. I also do side stretches and a few other yoga stretches. I also find it helps a lot to do 10 minutes of stretching in the evening. I don’t wake up feeling so tight.

Denise Hemphill
    Participant

Oh this sounds so helpful, thanks Gretchen!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics