Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 954 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp types. Pedal, single,double or cross strung #88724

    This decision depends on several factors: amount of money you have to spend, amount of time you have to practice, the type of music you love, and the amount of space you have in your home. Pedal harps are the largest and most expensive to buy and maintain, but they are the only choice if you want to play all the classic repertoire written for that instrument. Large lever harps can accomodate some of that repertoire, with modifications, and are considerably less expensive. There are all sorts of sizes and shapes of lever harps, and many excellent makers out there. This type is probably the most commonly found and taught. The disadvantage is that you have to flip the levers with your left hand. This makes some pieces impossible to play, if there are too many accidentals. The triple- and double-strung harps are ideally suited to early music and folk music, but they require a completely different technique than the single-strung harps. Their advantage is that you can play in any key without lever changes, and the sound is way cool!! I find it hard to focus on all those strings, but that’s just me. Wire-strung harps are played with the fingernails, so therefore require yet a different technique.

    in reply to: Having the Music #88779

    I have experienced this myself, and you’re right. If you’ve got a copy, then the lesson isn’t thrown out the window. But be careful they don’t scoop up your copy by mistake and take it home!

    in reply to: Words of Encouragement? #88768

    When you’re playing chamber music, you have to be able to play it at the correct tempo, so

    it’s always good to check with the other musicians to make sure that you are all in

    agreement about the tempi of each movement. If you cannot play it up to speed, then they

    all have to agree to play more slowly, or choose an easier piece.

    in reply to: What do you wear for gigs? #149149

    One thing my mother always told me: never wear white to a wedding unless you’re the
    bride. I only wear formal pants with a fancy blouse if it’s an afternoon or (shudder)
    morning concert. Otherwise, I choose dresses or skirts. I have discovered that certain cuts
    of skirts do not work at all for pedal harps. When purchasing a skirt, always sit down in the
    dressing room and see if the skirt falls all over your feet. Tiered skirts, which are so
    fashionable right now, are great for staying out of the way of the pedals when you sit
    down. I also hate to wear black because I have to wear it all the time at orchestra.

    in reply to: Teaching students to tune #87744

    Good point, Carl, and excellent suggestion! I always keep my harps in tune, to set a good

    example. (Besides, if I didn’t, the intonation would drive me mad.) The really young

    students often expect their parents to tune the harp, so I make sure all new students buy

    an electronic tuner, and I teach the parents and the students how to read it. If they’re still

    having trouble tuning, I will either make a house call if the harp is unwieldly to transport,

    or have them bring the harp to the lesson. I find that, if they tune the harp regularly, most

    people’s ears get used to hearing the harp in tune, and then they don’t need to rely on the

    elctronic gizmo so much.

    in reply to: Corelli Giga #88749

    I agree with Saul to put the ornaments ahead of the beat, as written. As for the octave

    stretch going into bars 6, 7 and 8, have her try the third finger instead of the second on

    the last eighth note. That would make less of a stretch. The sliding ornament in bar 12 can

    be made easier by taking that E in the left hand, and does not have to be slid. It could be

    done as 3,1,2. The ornaments on bars 18 and 19 can be made easier by placing fingers 2

    and 3 on E and G at the same time as you place the A before them. The slide works well

    there, but if the student really doesn’t feel comfortable with it, she could come off on the

    2nd finger instead, then hop to the thumb and third finger on the next chord.You could

    also use an E# enharmonic for the second F in that figure, but it means changing the pedal

    back and forth. An E# can be used to make a shorter stretch in the bar with the fermata on

    the bottom line of the same page.

    in reply to: Tips for a new harp teacher? #167184

    Make sure you don’t overload the student with too much information all at once. Write
    down every important point in a workbook that they must bring to the lesson every week.
    Make sure they READ the workbook (they can sign it, or you can ask them questions from
    it, etc.). Teach technique and practical theory at each lesson, along with some pretty
    pieces as a reward. If the pieces are too dull or ugly, the student is not going to be
    inspired. Make sure they buy some good harp CD’s and go to good concerts so that they
    get a sense of what they are working towards. Teach them how to practice effectively.
    Make sure their hands are always relaxed and they don’t stop breathing when they play.
    Give them performing opportunities when they are ready, but teach them how to prepare
    for a performance, so that their pieces are reliable even under stress. Keep a binder for
    your teaching. In it, keep track of what each student is working on, who you’ve loaned
    your music to, what parts they are playing in ensembles, if they have paid in advance, etc.
    Always be tactful. Don’t be a doormat, but don’t browbeat or terrify students. Music is
    supposed to be joyous. Have fun teaching! You’ll find you learn from them as much as
    they learn from you.

    in reply to: Summer 2006 Harp Camp???? #166639

    If you do come to Vancouver, BC, give me a call if you want to work particularly on
    orchestral repertoire. I also have some great fingerings for Ravel’s Introduction et Allegro
    and Debussy’s Danses Sacr?e et Profane. I have also just finished work on the Fran?aix
    Quintet #2, which is a wonderful piece; very chromatic in places, but, once edited
    enharmonically, quite enjoyable. I am from the “Salzedo” school, but I also do not try to
    change someone’s technique unless it is getting in their way. In fact, I have adapted my
    own since I stopped studying, so there are elements of both schools in it.

    in reply to: repertoire for small hands #88830

    I had a student with the same problem. Sometimes we just had to do a little editing, but

    most times she just had to place what she could and then put the last finger on as soon as

    she played the first finger. For solid chords, sometimes we took out one of the middle

    notes, or re-voiced the chord. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than getting an injury. This

    student became a superb harpist and musician, and nobody ever knew or cared how she

    overcame the tiny hands.

    in reply to: Priorities and Such #88836

    I agree with all of the above. It only matters if they make enough of an effort to show some

    improvement at each lesson. And it’s not about the number of minutes they put in! It’s the

    focus they bring to those minutes, and the ability to reach their goals. Most students are

    not going to become professionals. Music is a very tough and demanding calling,

    requiring total dedication. I have met too many musicians who feel like chipmunks on a

    wheel, because they were pressured into choosing music as a career. I do feel a little

    disappointment when a very talented student decides to go into a different profession, but

    they will always be able to play for relaxation, or perform for their friends, or even go pro

    a few years later.

    in reply to: Tension when I play… #165905

    Judy Loman taught me this: relax your hands completely in between each note or chord, at
    a very slow tempo. Develop this habit of relaxing between every note, and, as you speed
    up gradually, your muscles will remember how this feels. Do not tighten up as your speed
    increases. Breathe deeply as you play, and be careful not to clench your jaw. Also, never
    practice for more than an hour at a time, to avoid injury.

    in reply to: looking for a student harpist in Boston #86862

    Get in touch with the Boston Symphony harpist, Ann Hobson-Pilot. She must have lots of

    students who are looking for this kind of work. And, even if the wedding itself is only an

    hour, the harpist has to get there early enough to unload the harp, chair and music stand,

    park the car, get the harp, into position, and then tune it. Count on a minimum of two

    hours of her/his time, plus cartage fees. The harpist may also need assistance moving all

    the equipment.

    in reply to: Help with a sketchy e-mail! #88842

    It’s definitely fraud. It’s good you got suspicious! I have been getting several of these every

    week for months. Nobody pays for weeks in advance, and nobody wants that many hours

    of lessons per week for a beginner. Usually the grammar in these letters is atrocious, but

    not always. Don’t respond. If it’s a real student, they would want to come for one lesson

    first, to see how you were as a teacher.

    in reply to: how to motivate students to practice #88857

    I just bought a book called “The Practice Revolution” by Philip Johnston. It is available at

    http://www.practicespot.com. It was suggested by Rosalind Beck in a different thread on this web

    site. It is EXCELLENT and will help students and teachers alike.

    in reply to: What makes for a good (or a bad) student? #83363

    I love students who are enthusiastic about learning. They are the ones who really take your

    instructions to heart and show steady progress. When you give them a suggestion, their

    eyes light up and they put it into practice with gusto. Of course, it’s always fun to teach

    the talented ones who are natural musicians. But I enjoy a challenge if the student doesn’t

    hit the ground running. Sometimes the ones who have to work the hardest end up as the

    biggest successes. What they must have are: intelligence, self-discipline, passion, at least

    SOME talent, respect for the teacher, and it’s nice if they have a sense of humour.

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 954 total)