harpcolumn

Summer 2006 Harp Camp????

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Summer 2006 Harp Camp????

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Mikay, let us know the area in which you live, as you really need to bring your own harp to a summer harp camp, by car rather than plane. Now, you need to acquire the June 13 2005 issue of “Harp Column” magazine, perhaps by calling the toll-free number: 800 582 3021 and buying this camp article or the whole magazine.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello! I am a soon-to-be 16-year-old harpist; I’ve been playing for
    5 years, with seven years of piano background. I’ve spent the past 3
    summers and Idyllwild Arts Academy, and this year, I’m looking for
    something MUCH more challenging.
    I REALLY don’t want to do any harp ensemble stuff; I’m really only
    interested in solo, chamber, and orchestral.
    I’ve looked at Interlochen and Tanglewood as possibilities, but I’m
    interested to know the opinions of people who have actually been
    there, and/or other comparable music camps that I’m not aware of.
    Please reply!

erin-wood
    Participant

I agree that the recent issue of harp column is a great overview for summer camps.

unknown-user
    Participant

There is also an excellent program at Rocky Mountain Summer Conservatory, http://www.rockymountainsc.org. I don’t remember if that was in the harp column article. We do need more around the country, like in Minnesota, Idaho or Montana, West Coast. Too many have shut down, like the Salzedo School and Music Academy of the West. Chautauqua Institution has excellet programs, and I think there may be a high-school orchestra program.

unknown-user
    Participant

I went to Interlochen Arts Camp the past two summers and really loved it. You play in orchestra everyday and have harp ensemble 1-2hours each day. some days you may not have harp ensemble but instead orchestra skills, conductors coming to talk, playing for each other, orchestra sectionals etc. it was really nice..but if you really don’t like ensemble then im not sure how much you will like it, i really enjoyed ensemble because we played really fun music and the level of talent is so high! (dont worry harp ensemble isnt the sole focus!!) also i know i did not have a chamber music time marked into my schedule even though i played with a few of my friends for fun! I would higly recommend IAC because Mrs. Holland is an amazing teacher and you will get alot advice on technique and other things.

To respond to the question on this thread, by Emily K: Rita Costanzi studied with Eileen Malone (Eastman), then Marcel Grandjany (New York), and then Jacqueline Borot (France). She plays with the French position, therefore, but is open

If you do come to Vancouver, BC, give me a call if you want to work particularly on
    orchestral repertoire. I also have some great fingerings for Ravel’s Introduction et Allegro
    and Debussy’s Danses Sacr?e et Profane. I have also just finished work on the Fran?aix
    Quintet #2, which is a wonderful piece; very chromatic in places, but, once edited
    enharmonically, quite enjoyable. I am from the “Salzedo” school, but I also do not try to
    change someone’s technique unless it is getting in their way. In fact, I have adapted my
    own since I stopped studying, so there are elements of both schools in it.

christa-grix
    Participant

Saul, thank you for mentioning Rocky Mountain Summer Music Conservatory. I joined Olive at Rocky Mountain last summer as Director of the Harp Program, and I am quite proud to be associated with Rocky Mountain.
    Although the Harp Column tried to get information about RMSC in its article, through a series of miscommunications, RMSC, unfortunately, did not get into the summer camp review. However, interested harpists can learn more about the camp at http://www.rockymountainsc.org.
    Harp students at Rocky Mountain get two (2) one hour lessons weekly, daily technique and harp ensemble classes, and are expected to practice a minimum of three hours daily. The harp class is small (a maximum of six harpists are accepted into the program), and harpists who’ve attended in the past develop close friendships. Harpists are expected to give at least one public performance in the three week session. An introduction to improvisation and jazz harmony for the harp is also offered.
    Advanced harpists may have the opportunity to play chamber music with the other instrumentalists, if they arrive at camp with the music prepared.

RMSC’s mission is to develop the WHOLE musician, therefore, each day begins with stretches and an inspirational message (similar to Stephen Covey’s “Seven Habits of Highly Effective People”). The core curriculum begins at 8 a.m. and continues until about 3:00. After that, extra curricular activities, such as hiking, photography and tai kwon doe classes are offered, in which students are encouraged/required to participate. On most days, faculty and/or student recitals take place after dinner.

What distinguishes Rocky Mountain from other music camps is its philosophy of integrating students and faculty into a wholistic music experience. Great thought is given to keeping the music and camp experience safe, healthy and fulfilling. As a result, students and faculty eat together, participate in recitals together, and have fun together!

Rocky Mountain is located 10 minutes outside of Steamboat Springs, CO, in the beautiful Lowell Whiteman School. There are still a few openings and scholarships available for the summer of 2006.

If I can provide any further information, please feel free to contact me at grix@sbcglobal.net
    Christa Grix

karen
    Participant

Hi Mikay~

You might really like the format and teaching style of Susie Allen’s Summer Harp Program. It is a two week residential program in a gorgeous part of CA.

Check out the website to see if it might be a good ‘fit’ for your desires.

Enjoy!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.