Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 954 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Canadian International Summer Harp Institute #59863

    Though we are sorry that Cristina Braga cannot make it, we are delighted to announce that Julia Kay Jamieson will be joining our faculty this year!

    Julia Kay Jamieson is an energetic performer, dedicated teacher, composer and award-winning harpist living in Champaign, IL. A passionate advocate for new music, she is the principal harpist of the Cleveland Chamber Symphony, has given numerous world premiere performances and has performed in SEAMUS (Society for Electro-Acoustic Music in the United States) conferences (2012 and 2007). Julia has been commissioned to write several harp ensemble pieces which have been performed across the country. She is a founding member and arranger for the harp quartet HarpCore 4, a group that performs popular music (mostly from the 80’s), and she has arranged many popular and jazz pieces for solo harp. As a professional harpist, she won First Prize in the 2002 American String Teachers Association (ASTA) National Biennial Solo Competition. Julia was the winner of the University of Illinois School of Music Concerto Competition Finals in 2008 and has been a soloist with the Danville Symphony Orchestra (2009) and the Illinois Symphony Orchestra (2010). From 2006 to 2011 Julia served as president of the Roslyn Rench Central Illinois Chapter of the American Harp Society and is currently serving on the AHS board of directors. She studied with Jocelyn Chang in Cleveland, Susann McDonald at Indiana University (BM), and Ann Yeung at UIUC (MM) where Julia served as teaching assistant. During her tenure as teaching assistant, she was awarded the highest teaching honor at The University of Illinois: the Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2009). Julia’s interest in harp pedagogy has led to her writing teaching materials, giving several workshops and masterclasses for harpists and composers, and writing articles for the American Harp Journal’s “Teachers Corner”. Julia has been featured as a clinician, composer, and concert artist for events such as the Illinois Summer Harp Class in Urbana-Champaign and the University of Oregon Harp Day in Eugene.
    http://juliakayjamieson.com/

    in reply to: Let her Go/ Passenger #113490

    It seems like a strange request for a wedding. Isn’t the song about losing a love relationship because they didn’t appreciate the person until too late? It could have some people wondering whether the bride or groom was still carrying a torch for someone else as they take their vows.

    in reply to: Miraculous Mandarin #62173

    I can only assume that you have not checked back to see if anyone responded to your message. I hope you found some good solutions. That is why we need email notifications, as in the old Harp Column web site.

    in reply to: Miraculous Mandarin #62172

    I tried to send my markings to you as a message, but I don’t know whether it worked. You can contact me via my web site http://www.elizabethvolpebligh.com to send me your email address, if it did not show up in your messages. Please let me know if it was received, one way or the other.

    in reply to: Prius V as harpmobile? #113391

    Hi, Christian! I am not that tall, so I have never tried putting the driver’s seat all the way back. It might work if the harp were moved to a more diagonal position, but then it would be a bit of a bother to load. I wonder if you might ask the Toyota company for the exact measurements of the back area with the driver’s seat all the way back, and see what they say.

    in reply to: Is there no honor in email agreements? #62847

    Hello, Jerusha! I am sorry that this has happened to you. I had a similar thing with a school that had arranged for a year of Skype lessons with me. I had spent a lot of time emailing about times and dates, and finally, everything was all arranged. Then, when the first date came, and nobody was online, I phoned to ask where they were. They said one student had graduated, and the other student was out of town. Okay…so I dragged the harp to the computer the next week and the other student still wasn’t there. After a couple more phone calls and another email, I finally dragged it out of them that the students had decided to try another teacher, and they had lied about everything because they were embarrassed. I had taught several students there with great success, so this shocked me. There are people everywhere who think the grass is greener on the other side, even when it is just more grass. I had assumed that the email records formed a contract, but apparently not.

    in reply to: Easier Tzigane? #62159

    Dear Paula, Could you let me know if I sent it to the correct email? Did it arrive?

    in reply to: Canadian International Summer Harp Institute #59862

    Registration is now open on http://www.cishi.ca!

    in reply to: Easier Tzigane? #62157

    There are ways to make it a bit easier, though it is still challenging. I have sent you my markings by email, along with the violin parts to the cadenza and the part at rehearsal 20. There is also an errata sheet.

    in reply to: Canadian International Summer Harp Institute #59861

    The dates for 2014 will be July 2-11, at the VSO School of Music in beautiful downtown Vancouver. We are just adding changes to the web site in the next week or two, and the registration page should be ready by February.

    in reply to: Prius V as harpmobile? #113385

    I have a Prius V, which I use as my harpmobile. My concert grand Style 23 fits in the back, along with my harp cart, music stand and the bench folded and underneath the seat. I live in a mild climate, so I have no knowledge of how the hybrid system works in very cold, snowy environments. Once, I could not get the windshield to defrost while sitting in the car, so I had to wipe it with a cloth. Once I got the car going, and the engine came on, then the defrost worked perfectly.

    in reply to: Grandjany’s harmonics notation #62077

    Thanks, Patricia! I should have thought of that!

    in reply to: Canadian International Summer Harp Institute #59860

    I am looking forward to seeing you in Sydney at the WHC! I just got the first few pages of the new piece that I commissioned, and it looks great. I’ll be performing on the Friday in the afternoon.

    in reply to: Grandjany’s harmonics notation #62073

    They are to be played simultaneously, unless otherwise indicated or impossible.

    in reply to: orchestral part with soprano #62057

    Summertime by Gershwin would be lovely. You could use a piano part and edit it to make it work for the harp.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 954 total)