Denise Lockamy

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Do adult amateurs have special problems learning harp? #84473
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    Perhaps using classical music vs. show tunes was not the best illustration of my point. I love most classics (and a huge variety of other music) and would be happy to learn them. I was thinking of one teacher I had who had learned Grandjany’s Joyful Overture when she was a student, so insisted I learn it. I hated it, it was torture to practice, and I doubt I really learned anything I couldn’t have learned from a piece I wanted in my repertoire, or at least one I wanted to hear 10 times a practice session. What is there in that particular piece of music that could not have been taught using something I enjoyed playing? I did change teachers. While that teacher was techically a very good harpist, my other teacher played with feeling and passion the first lacked.

    in reply to: Do adult amateurs have special problems learning harp? #85696
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    Perhaps using classical music vs. show tunes was not the best illustration of my point. I love most classics (and a huge variety of other music) and would be happy to learn them. I was thinking of one teacher I had who had learned Grandjany’s Joyful Overture when she was a student, so insisted I learn it. I hated it, it was torture to practice, and I doubt I really learned anything I couldn’t have learned from a piece I wanted in my repertoire, or at least one I wanted to hear 10 times a practice session. What is there in that particular piece of music that could not have been taught using something I enjoyed playing? I did change teachers. While that teacher was techically a very good harpist, my other teacher played with feeling and passion the first lacked.

    in reply to: Do adult amateurs have special problems learning harp? #84469
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    I think there are individual reasons for individuals. I am an “adult onset” harpist who will probably never progress beyond a certain ability. I had 3 years of piano as a child, and didn’t do well with that, though there was a distinct lack of motivation. The motivation is there, now, and I work hard at whatever I’m doing. I had a teacher for the better part of 10 years who was supportive, encouraging, and patient. She let me decide what I would like to work on, but directed me to versions that were on my level. As a result, I love playing. However, my fingers are not coordinated enough to excel. I can start an IV on almost anyone, but can’t open a sterile package without repeated tries. Everyone has their inborn abilities they have to work around, but lack of ablility does not necessarily negate desire. Adult learners are self-motivated, not sent by parents to take lessons. Adult learners in any field need to set their own goals. They will work hardest at something that applies directly to those goals. If their goal is to be able to play scores from musicals, it will not help to assign them all classics. Didn’t really mean to go on so long!!

    in reply to: Do adult amateurs have special problems learning harp? #85692
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    I think there are individual reasons for individuals. I am an “adult onset” harpist who will probably never progress beyond a certain ability. I had 3 years of piano as a child, and didn’t do well with that, though there was a distinct lack of motivation. The motivation is there, now, and I work hard at whatever I’m doing. I had a teacher for the better part of 10 years who was supportive, encouraging, and patient. She let me decide what I would like to work on, but directed me to versions that were on my level. As a result, I love playing. However, my fingers are not coordinated enough to excel. I can start an IV on almost anyone, but can’t open a sterile package without repeated tries. Everyone has their inborn abilities they have to work around, but lack of ablility does not necessarily negate desire. Adult learners are self-motivated, not sent by parents to take lessons. Adult learners in any field need to set their own goals. They will work hardest at something that applies directly to those goals. If their goal is to be able to play scores from musicals, it will not help to assign them all classics. Didn’t really mean to go on so long!!

    in reply to: Just to let you know . . . #108587
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    Kay, congratulations!!! I love his name. My son (the one expecting, now) also had to
    have his foot in a cast for a little while. An annoyance, but nothing
    more. He never had another problem, and was quite athletic growing up.

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111228
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    Has anybody been watching the series about John Adams?

    in reply to: Just to let you know . . . #108583
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    Congratulations!!!

    in reply to: How many gardening harpists out there? #111269
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    The daffodils were beautiful this year, despite the drought.

    in reply to: Just to let you know . . . #108579
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    Sorry, getting confused.

    in reply to: Just to let you know . . . #108578
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    No name yet, but they have narrowed the list. April 7 is really close! Does yours have a name?

    in reply to: Just to let you know . . . #108575
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    Just found out – ours is also going to be a boy!

    in reply to: Just to let you know . . . #108565
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    I’m also going to be a first time grandma this year, in August.

    in reply to: Loreena McKennitt Music Available #163502
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    There are quite a few with beautiful melodies, but would not be good for a wedding if anyone happens to know the words.

    in reply to: How many gardening harpists out there? #111261
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    I’m also an avid gardener, though with the drought we’ve had this year, there’s not much evidence of it in my yard.

    in reply to: Just one? #163615
    Denise Lockamy
    Participant

    I have only one harp, but I’m looking for a small travel harp, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)