harpcolumn

Loreena McKennitt Music Available

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Loreena McKennitt Music Available

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

For all of you who love Loreena McKennitt’s music, she has some of her music now available on her website (search on Quinlan Road) for sale.

unknown-user
    Participant

Just to save a few clicks, the direct link is: http://www.quinlanroad.com/newsandviews/currentupdates.asp?id=526 .

barbara-dixon
    Participant

Even using the link supplied I have been unable to find any sheet music for sale on the Quinlan Road website.

Allison Stewart
    Participant
    unknown-user
    Participant

Barbara,

I’ve heard that Loreena is a really good songwriter. What songs of hers would you recommend?

unknown-user
    Participant

Hallo,

I’m curious about something: I remember that when I started learning harp, I said to my teacher I’d like to accompan my singing with the harp, Loreena McKennitt sort of thing, and she told me “Loreena McKennitt is a great singer but please don’t say that she’s a harpist” so I drop the subject…I mostly know (and like a lot) some old CDs from her, and there’s quite a lot harp, I have never seen her live so I don’t know how good or not good she is on the harp…You’re fans so you know, what do you think?

M.

janet-king
    Participant

Oh pulleeeeze, I think your teacher, indulging in

unknown-user
    Participant

Hallo Janet,

yeah, I know what you mean when you speak of exclusive club and I agree with you, it makes no sense and is not at all how I feel about being a harpist (and I woudn’t fit in the club anyway!). But I’m still curious to know what other harpists think about McKennitt as a harpist, it’s the first time I see her name popping up here, I like her as an artist, expecially as a singer, but I have never seen her playing harp, so I’m just wondering…
    As for my teacher, good point, I haven’t thought about her comment in years…I should ask her about this when I get the chance (we don’t live in the same country anymore), she’s usually open minded and she always encouraged me to do what I do, or not? Hmmm…We have something to talk about I guess…
    M.

tony-morosco
    Participant

+++But I’m still curious to know what other harpists think about McKennitt as a harpist,+++

I think she is a fine harpist. She doesn’t play with a classical technique so if someone is snobbish about what school of playing they belong to they will probably

barbara-dixon
    Participant

Of course everyone’s taste in music is different.

barbara-dixon
    Participant

By the way….thanks very

I believe that Loreena McKennitt has hugely increased the popularity of the harp. She’s one of the few exponents of our instrument whose name is known everywhere among non-harpists and harpists alike. There certainly has been an explosion of interest in the harp in the last twenty years, and I would wager that we owe at least some of this to her successful career. I agree we should not be snobs about whether a harpist plays with this or that technique. The main thing is: do you enjoy the music?

janet-king
    Participant

Or, as Duke Ellington said, according to Peter Schikele (aka, PDQ Bach), “If it sounds good, it IS good!”

unknown-user
    Participant

Elizabeth and Janet,

I agree that some harpists can be overly critical.

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Janet, Elizabeth, and Jerusha,

Jerusha, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies