catherine-rogers

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Ravenna 34 or Camac Melusine? #158796
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    If you really want a Prelude, have you considered buying a used one that would cost less? Lyon & Healy may have one on their pre-owned list, or there may be one listed on this website in the classified section.

    in reply to: Modern Music Stand to Match Style 30 #70055
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    With all the 30s Lyon & Healy is selling, maybe they ought to consider selling these stands again. They’d look good with the 100 and 85 series, too.

    in reply to: Modern Music Stand to Match Style 30 #70051
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I have brochures going back to 1974 but saw no pictures of the 30 style stand. I remember seeing it, probably in an old Lyon & Healy catalog. Those I didn’t save. I’m looking through my old American Harp Society Journals since 1976 but that’s very slow going. Maybe Lyon & Healy has a photo in their archives. Surely someone who reads these forums has one of these stands and could post a picture?

    in reply to: Best Tuner for a 40 string pedal harp #158893
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Maybe it’s your pickup. What are you using? If you’re using just the microphone built into the tuner, that’s not enough to catch the extreme highs and lows.

    in reply to: L&H Ogden vs Reese Corlieu #73999
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Barring some unforeseen hidden flaw, which would be extremely rare, I think you can reasonably expect many years of use from your Ogden (or from a Troubadour or Prelude). I have a 1974 Troubadour 1 which is still in use. I have several other Troubadours of various ages and a Prelude which are used as student rental instruments, and they hold up very well. Lyon and Healy lever harps are sturdy instruments built for long life with proper care and maintenance.

    in reply to: Where can I find Pirastro harp strings? #73976
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    You can get Pirastro guts or nylons from The Harp Connection or you can get Pirastro nylons (1st and 2nd octaves) from Lyon & Healy.

    I personally prefer Pirastro nylons in the top octave because they seem (to me) a tiny bit heavier and give me what I think is a less “plinky” sound and a better regulation. Like other nylons in this range, you get extra length, usually enough for 2-3 uses, and they wear really well.

    in reply to: Modern Music Stand to Match Style 30 #70045
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I remember seeing pictures of those in the old Lyon & Healy catalogs but unfortunately I didn’t keep those. They were pretty simple and graceful-looking; surely someone here must have one to show?

    in reply to: Harp, broken AC #158970
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Made do the best we could.

    in reply to: Minor buzzing problem #108080
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Sid is right. I’ve had buzzing that sounded like it was coming from the harp but turned out to be the bottom drawer of my metal file cabinet. Another time it was a loose screw in a hinge of a cabinet door (!) and once it was the metal grate cover on the heating/air conditioning duct in the floor. You just never know.

    It really helps if you can get another person to listen with you and move around the room while you pluck the string so he or she can try to find the source.

    Do get a copy of Carl Swanson’s book “A Guide for Harpists,” which is available from Vanderbilt Music and harp retailers. Not expensive and totally worth it, plus it’s a fun read if you’re into harps.

    in reply to: Is there a smaller pedal harp? #158990
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    You’re right, I’d forgotten about the Chicago 40. Very nice instruments. I tried one at the Atlanta Harp Center and really liked its sound.

    in reply to: Weirdest Wedding Processional Request #106332
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I just read that a recent wedding in Proctorville, Ohio, had 110 bridesmaids. How’d you like to play that processional!? Hope they at least sent them down in pairs!

    in reply to: Is there a smaller pedal harp? #158987
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I’m petite (5 feet) and have played a concert grand for years. However, I have a Camac Clio (44 strings, extended board) for casual jobs and find it more comfortable because the pedals are closer together, i.e., I don’t have to reach so far for the A pedal. It also weighs less, (57 lbs.) which is principally why I bought it. Or you can get the straight board Clio at 55 lbs. If you’re not playing orchestra repertoire, you can probably get away without a concert grand most of the time.

    Also consider the Lyon & Healy 85P (discontinued but used ones are available–40 strings, straight board) or the 85GP–44 strings, extended board. Salvi has the Daphne with 40 or 44 strings. Venus has the Cherub with 44 strings. All are fine instruments. If weight is a consideration, check the specs on each of those.

    Used ones are available on this website in the classified section and from Lyon & Healy’s pre-owned program and from individuals and harp stores.

    in reply to: Harpo on Turner #108159
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    The opera singer at the party was Maxine Castle.

    in reply to: Harpo on Turner #108158
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    The harp solo in “Monkey Business” was “Sugartime.”

    Here’s the information I have, subject to correction, of course:

    The Cocoanuts–When My Dreams Come True

    Animal Crackers–Why Am I So Romantic

    Monkey Business–O Solo Mio and Sugartime

    Horse Feathers–Everyone Says I Love You

    Duck Soup–no specialty numbers

    A Night at the Opera–Alone

    A Day at the Races–Blue Venetian Waters

    Room Service–no specialty numbers

    At the Circus–Blue Moon

    Go West–Land of the Sky Blue Water

    The Big Store–medley of classical tunes

    A Night in Casablanca–Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

    Love Happy–no specialty numbers

    in reply to: “Fascination” arrangement #150043
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Did Laura Erb make recordings, too, where we could hear her arrangements?

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 584 total)