harpcolumn

Modern Music Stand to Match Style 30

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Modern Music Stand to Match Style 30

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bill Van Patten
    Spectator

Way back when, Lyon & Healy sold music stands and benches in a modern style, made specifically to match the Style 30 harp.

I’m looking for one of those music stands.

barbara-low
    Participant

I didn’t know L&H made a stand to match the Style 30, so can’t help you there.

Here’s a link to a guy who makes custom music stands. His wife is a professional harpist, so understands the special needs we have.

http://www.misterstandman.com/

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I remember seeing pictures of those in the old Lyon & Healy catalogs but unfortunately I didn’t keep those. They were pretty simple and graceful-looking; surely someone here must have one to show?

Bill Van Patten
    Spectator

Thanks Barbara – I’d already come across him – and his stands look great – he’s definitely at the top of the list to make a custom one, if I wind up doing that route.

Bill Van Patten
    Spectator

Thanks Barbara – yes, it’s very simple – with a vertical support that’s similar to the 30’s column – I’m sure someone will unearth some good pics eventually …

Chris Asmann
    Participant

I have a custom stand by misterstandman. Pretty much everything he makes is custom and I am very pleased with mine. Even if you can’t find a picture, if you can describe it and find something similar on his site he will work with you and make what you want.

Good luck!

Have you seen or heard of the Alden Lee company? They make beautiful music stands. I have one, and it is fantastic. http://www.aldenlee.com

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Bill, I see you’re in Broward. I don’t know if UM has old issues of the Harp Journal and the Harp News in their library, but you might check. Possibly there would be a picture in an old L&H ad in the issues from the 60s and early 70s. (I know FSU has them, but that’s not exactly convenient.)

If you belong to the harp chapter down there, there might also be someone who kept those old L&H brochures, if you ask around.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I have brochures going back to 1974 but saw no pictures of the 30 style stand. I remember seeing it, probably in an old Lyon & Healy catalog. Those I didn’t save. I’m looking through my old American Harp Society Journals since 1976 but that’s very slow going. Maybe Lyon & Healy has a photo in their archives. Surely someone who reads these forums has one of these stands and could post a picture?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I know there was a price list/brochure in the early or mid-seventies that showed the 30 with the stand and the infamous bucket bench, but I no longer have it.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I think that stand had already been discontinued by the time I was first looking for a harp in the late 1970s, because I initially tried to order a 30, during the time when the wait was almost six years. But the stand wasn’t available by then.

Bill Van Patten
    Spectator

Thanks to everybody who took the time to respond.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

With all the 30s Lyon & Healy is selling, maybe they ought to consider selling these stands again. They’d look good with the 100 and 85 series, too.

I don’t recall the stand, but I do recall those benches, they made it very difficult to pedal the A and D, they pinched the thighs together. Nice as furniture, though. There were also custom designed music stands and benches for the Salzedo model, one set by Lyon & Healy, the two original sets by Jules Bouy, one custome designed for Lucile Lawrence. That stand is available to purchase if you have a small fortune on hand.

emma-graham
    Participant

Probably not quite what you are after for your style 30 but I have just bought one of these:

http://andersonmusicstand.com/html2/options.html

It is brilliant if you need a nice looking, but easily portable stand.

I got mine through Sylvia Woods.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.