harpcolumn

Ravenna 34 or Camac Melusine?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Ravenna 34 or Camac Melusine?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mary Song
    Participant

I’ve finally decided to buy a bigger harp than the one I already have (22 strings). I would love to buy a Prelude, but I find it too expensive. Usually I play Celtic music, evergreens, songs from musicals etc, but I would also like to have the opportunity to play classical music.

Now I’m

deb-l
    Participant

My next rent to own will be a Melusine, so I’m partial.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

If you really want a Prelude, have you considered buying a used one that would cost less? Lyon & Healy may have one on their pre-owned list, or there may be one listed on this website in the classified section.

Mary Song
    Participant

I have found some used Preludes, but

Mary Song
    Participant

By the way: the

deb-l
    Participant

Mari, have you tried listening to you tube videos of the models your interested in?

Mary Song
    Participant

Thanks, Deb! That was helpful. I’m very much drawn to the Melusine at the moment.

deb-l
    Participant

Mari, you mentioned classical and the Prelude earlier, have you considered the other model Diana recommended, Aziliz, which has gut type strings and lever harp wire.

deb-l
    Participant

Mari, I was mistaken, the Aziliz has folk tension but it does have classic strings.

deb-l
    Participant

please forgive the triple post (wish I could edit).

Mary Song
    Participant

I’ve looked at Salvi Livia, but at the moment I feel that I should go for 38 strings, so that I hopefully won’t regret buying a too small one. Then the Melusine seems like the only choice, since it’s affordable. I’m

deb-l
    Participant

Mari, they say you never regret going for more strings.

hannah-roberts
    Participant

I own a Ravenna 34 and my husband takes cello lessons at a luthier who sells Camac harps, so I have played both, and they are both excellent harps. The Dusty has a whole lot more resonance. You will have to do a good bit of damping in the bass for many classical and Baroque pieces on a Ravenna. Its lower register is dramatic and its upper register is celestial and delicate.
    The Camac is very bright and almost classical guitar-like. It’s very nuanced and expressive. It’s a perfect harp for any piece where your fingers really fly!
    I have Camac levers on my Christina 25 and they are so light and easy to use!
    The Loveland levers on the Ravenna are heavy and sticky, they are definitely no one’s favourite thing about a Ravenna. They are sturdy, though, and my luthier loves regulating them,. and does not care for regulating the Camac levers.
    Both types of levers are noiseless. I play classical and Baroque on my Ravenna with plenty of lever changes and don’t find them difficult to use. One thing is for sure, playing Bach on a Ravenna gives you strong hands and fingers from all the damping and lever flipping!
    A Camac was out of my budget range when I bought. Had it been similarly priced to the Dusty Strings, it would have been a difficult decision.
    Definitely listen to several Youtubes of both to help you decide.
    Keep us posted!

Mary Song
    Participant

Thanks a lot for the information, Hannah. I didn’t know about the difference between the levers, so that was really helpful.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies