Is there a smaller pedal harp?

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

Norah Calamy on #158986

Hi guys! I’m back! I’m over my string woes for Ogden… and in the midst of trying to pay it off before the rent-to-own period is over.

But question because I am curious… Are there pedal harps for small-stature people? I’ve heard the L&H Grand Petite harps (at least with the straight soundboard) is smaller, and so is the Camac Clio…

But if there is anyone of small-stature that’d have some info about smaller pedal harps, I’d be obliged to hear it!

Participant
    catherine-rogers on #158987

I’m petite (5 feet) and have played a concert grand for years. However, I have a Camac Clio (44 strings, extended board) for casual jobs and find it more comfortable because the pedals are closer together, i.e., I don’t have to reach so far for the A pedal. It also weighs less, (57 lbs.) which is principally why I bought it. Or you can get the straight board Clio at 55 lbs. If you’re not playing orchestra repertoire, you can probably get away without a concert grand most of the time.

Also consider the Lyon & Healy 85P (discontinued but used ones are available–40 strings, straight board) or the 85GP–44 strings, extended board. Salvi has the Daphne with 40 or 44 strings. Venus has the Cherub with 44 strings. All are fine instruments. If weight is a consideration, check the specs on each of those.

Used ones are available on this website in the classified section and from Lyon & Healy’s pre-owned program and from individuals and harp stores.

Participant
    Tacye on #158988

My first pedal harp was

Participant
    brook-boddie on #158989

I’d recommend the L&H Chicago 40 also.

Participant
    catherine-rogers on #158990

You’re right, I’d forgotten about the Chicago 40. Very nice instruments. I tried one at the Atlanta Harp Center and really liked its sound.

Participant
    Dwyn . on #158991

I have a 44 string Venus Cherub (69 pounds, per the Venus website), and am happy with it.

Participant
    Zen Sojourner on #158992

Personally I greatly prefer the plainer styling.

Participant
    Dwyn . on #158993

I’ve never played one of the Bavarian-style pedal harps (with the curved soundbox), but suspect they make it a lot easier to reach the lower strings, especially for someone with shorter arms/height.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #158994

Yes, but don’t forget the Tyrollean style models are mostly single action harps.

Norah Calamy on #158995

Thanks so much for all the replies 🙂

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #158996

Tacye (and everyone else),

I’m a little intrigued by the small pedal harp that Zangerle sells – at 22lbs, and 51 inches, it could practically serve as a harp that blurs the distinction between folk and pedal harps, if it were relatively affordable, and had a pleasing sound.

Participant
    jessica-wolff on #158997

That would be a pretty safe assumption. Notice the emphasis on the 7 pedals: some of the Tyrolean harp makers (by which I mean makers of Tyrolean harps, not Tyrolean makers of harps) make their smallest harps, the ones intended for children, with only 5 pedals. Usually Tyrolean-style harps are pretty good value, 5,000 Euros or so.

Participant
    Dwyn . on #158998

As far as I know, they’re *all* single action, though I’m not sure why.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.