Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Biagio
ParticipantI notice in this thread and in some other related ones the a priori proposition that the harp in question is a concert pedal instrument. I suspect that this notion is also prevalent in the minds of many people considering taking up the harp. As Kristina points out “the harp as we know it today was only invented in 1811” and here she is of course referring to Sebastian Erard and the pedal instrument.
At the risk of raising a few hackles unintentionally, let me observe that the harp as an instrument has been around a good deal longer than 200 years. While I respect and admire those who play the concert harp, I think it is a great pity that this rather narrow focus persists. I do hope and believe that this is gradually changing, first with the “Renaissance” recording by Alan Stivell, and increasingly by masterful musicians such as Kim Roberson and Harper Tasche.
Perhaps as people are increasingly exposed to these and other artists (thank goodness for the Internet!) it will become more popular and – who knows? – those who pick up a lever harp at first may find they wish to move to the pedal instrument; or, in the case of two professional pedal players I know, find that their love is after all with the wire harp.
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantAround here in the Puget Sound/Seattle area harpists are probably associated with your typical low income struggling musicians. That would likely be because there are a lot of harpists and quite a few harp makers in the area. Same situation around San Francisco.
When I lived in Cleveland and just starting to learn – mostly with well to do people. That’s Salzedo Chalifoux and Kondonassis country, so go figure – I never met even one dedicated lever harp player and as for the clarsach, banish the thought.
So maybe one might conclude that it depends on local exposure.
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantFun topic! From people with no prior interest or knowledge the most common perception is this:
“I thought harpists were mostly ladies in flowing gowns with that beautiful big gold harp!”
Always good for a giggle. After a little period of discussion the next question is often “Gosh, how much would a lever harp cost and where can I buy one?”
That’s one I really enjoy answering!
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantI so much agree with you Randal, and with Balfour. Once one takes a deep breath, wades out beyond the comfy shore of classical into the wild surf of “folk” things get really interesting.
Which is not to say that classical music and instruments aren’t interesting – just that there are a lot more options then those. And the two can be combined; one of the most exciting duets I’ve heard recently is of Catrin Finch and Sekou Keita (pedal harp and kora). Here it is:
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantIf I’m understanding…a portable harp would be preferable but you want more range and the expense of a double is too much. If so, so would be the cost of a good guitar so let me suggest two folk instruments admirably suited to vocal accompaniment in the great outdoors: a mountain dulcimer or an autoharp. You can find lots of decent ones for about $200 or less, especially the latter.
Good luck!
BiagioBiagio
ParticipantWell, the strings are part of the question but to me what this really underlines is that a pedal and lever harp are different instruments in several respects. It would be possible to design a double action with the tonal characteristics of a “celtic” but the closest to that would probably be fairly old when string tension was lighter than nowadays.
There are tunes for the wire strung that just don’t sound good on nylon/gut for similar reasons. I can change technique to approach the wire sound but it’s still not the same.
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantAs many have said, the tension is light but I only find it really objectionable in the last half octave with the stock strings. Rees offers a string set with wound strings down there to address that complaint; they are a great improvement.
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantVery true Balfour and come to think of it the MM Smartwood harp “in the white” would be in fact my choice in Laura’s place. I’d not call it a travel harp, but it would be just fine for a college dorm (it can be unstrung and knocked down easily) plus MM offers an upgrade to one of their other harps sometime in the future.
It is too lightly strung for my personal taste, but then so is a Harpsicle:-)
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantSegueing away a little but I hope still within the thread…I alluded to making your own small harp and then remembered this one. A well known designer, Rick Kemper, provides plans for his 3 octave Waldorf Harp at no cost. Rick designed these to be made by students at a Waldorf school – so it is quite easy to do and they sound very nice. Here’s his website; click on plans.
http://www.sligoharps.com/index
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantSomething to realize here is that for the most part the box – whether wood, cardboard, gator board, etc. – essentially acts as an amplifying chamber for a small harp (it does that as well for larger ones, but also serves other functions).
It would be entirely feasible to build a wooden triangle using a published string band design (I have several I’m happy to provide free; so do others such as Music Makers). Then simply bolt that to a thin-walled box; the box thus is strictly an amplifier.
This is the same principle as used for electric harps except that there is no box but rather individual string pickups and an external amp. With a preamp instead that could actually be your CD player or even PC with appropriate connections.
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantHi Karen,
I would suggest either the Harps of Lorien Sasha (which would be my personal choice) or the Triplett Zephyr.
Good Fortune!
BiagioBiagio
ParticipantHi Karen,
Many people like the Triplett Zephyr, which has a reasonably priced case as well: http://triplettharps.com/zephyr-22-string.php
Another possibility, and my personal choice, would be the Harps of Lorien Sasha. As a kit it is only about $750, $1200 if finished and with C & F levers plus case.
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantThere has been a series of articles in the Folk Harp Journal by Ann Ros that address many of these issues, essentially in line with Carl’s and others comments. Ann goes into more depth of course – it might be other while to get her book, of which the articles are extracts: A Musician’s Guide to Brides: How to Make Money Playing at Weddings.
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantI’d agree with that Tacye! I guess I should add a personal opinion – to whit, that I look at any harp, even a small “beginner” one, as an investment. Some investments don’t pan out as well as others, so it makes sense – at least to me – in invest in one that I can easily sell later. The better the quality, the easier it is to sell.
Biagio
Biagio
ParticipantHi Laura,
Given the parameters: small, light, inexpensive, decent quality – I think I would choose a Rees Sharpsicle with the higher tension bass strings. This mainly because a Backyard harp might get dented more easily. Some Mid east harps are OK but the quality control is variable and the levers are awful.
A very nice little harp that will last you a long time would be the Blevins Cameo, if your pockets are deep enough. It would be a great second instrument if you should later get a larger instrument. A number of friends have chosen it for their therapy harp; here’s the listing:
http://www.blevinsharps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=282_293
Biagio
-
AuthorPosts